LouA
LouA, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  20+ yrs experience in vet medicine, special interest in Sighthounds, successful Agility competitor
9990371

My dog has a red bump on her belly/chest area. It started

My dog has a red bump on her belly/chest area. It started about 2 weeks ago and looked like a red raspberry. It has now grown to slightly larger than a dime and is raised from her skin. The sides are still bright red and bumpy (like a raspberry), but the top looks to have a scab on it. It doesn't seem to bother her. At what point should I take her to the vet?
Thanks for your question. I'm sorry your dog is having problems. I don't like to take chances with Boxers so I would recommend that you take her in for your veterinarian to examine as soon as possible. Boxers as a breed have a big problem with different types of cancers ... this includes skin cancers. Many of these are curable by excision only ... this means if you take the lump off the cancer is cured and requires no further treatment. I say this not to scare you but to educate you. This lump may turn out to be a simple skin infection of some sort that will only need antibiotics or some sort of topical ointment. But with a Boxer there is always the chance that it is something more serious so I would go ahead and make an appointment with your regular veterinarian. I hope things work out well for you guys!!