Dog

Get Your Dog Care Questions Answered by Experts

Dog

My dog ingested a cymbalta capsule

Customer Question
my dog ate a 60mg...
my dog ate a 60mg cymbalta pill. My vet technician suggested I give her a tablespoon of peroxide to make her vomit. I caught this quickly and she vomited several times. She threw all of her food up that she had eaten 20 minutes beforehand but I couldn't exactly tell in all the mess that the capsule was there or not. What should I be watching for or is there anything else I should do?
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Dog
12/12/2008
Dog Specialist: Dr. Schillig, Dog Veterinarian replied 8 years ago
Dr. Schillig
Dr. Schillig, Dog Veterinarian

Good morningCustomer

I am sorry to hear about your girl's problems.

When doing a brief search for Cymbalta toxicity in dogs, I find that the dose at which signs are first noted is at 20 mg per kg. So, if your dog weighs less than 8 pounds, I would be concerned about her. If she is larger than that, I would likely watch her at home for signs of hyperactivity and neurologic changes like tremoring.

There is no specific antidote for cymbalta in dogs, so if those signs are noted, she should get to your veterinarian to have some supportive measures pursued. In short, if she is less than 8 pounds, I would take her in for observation through the day, and if she is more than that, I would watch her at home and take her in if you see signs.

I hope this helps!

As always, if you have further questions, please don't hesitate to ask them!

Thank you,

Dr. Schillig

Dr. Schillig
Dr. Schillig, Dog Veterinarian
Dr. Schillig
Dr. Schillig
Dr. Schillig, Dog Veterinarian