NancyH
NancyH, Dog Expert:Rescue, Train,Breed,Care
Experience:  30+ yrs dog home vet care & nursing, rescue, behavior&training, responsible show breeding, genetics
127115

i found a live worm on my dogs butt near her anus. it is whitish,

i found a live worm on my dog's butt near her anus. it is whitish, an inch or under, and it moves by stretching out, then gathering up on itself, then stretching out again. my dog does eat leftover cat kills such as squirrels and voles.
Category: Dog
Expert:  NancyH replied 8 years ago.

If this is about the size of a rice grain or looks like a few rice grains joined then this may be a tapeworm segment.

If there is a sore near the anal area this could be a fly maggot rather than an intestinal worm. If your dog has a heavy coat of fur look under the fur for any signs of skin infection if you suspect this might be a fly maggot.

You can read about (and see pictures of) intestinal worms here to help you identify what you found

http://www.thepetcenter.com/exa/worms.html

To check for intestinal parasites you bring a fresh stool sample to the vet and the vet looks for eggs in the stool that are microscopic to identify what kind of worms to ensure you use the right wormer to get rid of them.

Hope this helps you!

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
I WAS HOPING THAT THE WAY THAT THIS WORM MOVES MIGHT DEFINE WHAT TYPE IT IS> IT IS AN INCH OR LESS LONG AND MOVES BY STRETCHING OUT< THEN GATHERING UP ON ITSELF AND STRETCHING OUT AGAIN> WE DON"T HAVE FLY MAGGOTS THIS TIME YEAR HERE> I SEE NO SORES> THANKS
Expert:  NancyH replied 8 years ago.

The best way to check it out is to look at a picture.

If it has legs its likely a caterpillar or maggot not an intestinal worm.

My best guess based on your description is a tapeworm segment if its an intestinal worm as those are the most likely to move like that.

Maggots look like this

http://lighthousepatriotjournal.files.wordpress.com/2007/01/maggot.jpg