Candy W.
Candy W., Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  7+ years in general veterinary medicine
11703348

I have a Basset Hound that has a lump on her neck. Without

I have a Basset Hound that has a lump on her neck. Without going to the vet again how can I drain it?

HiCustomer

Do you know what the fluid is on the neck? Is it saliva?

What size needles and syringes do you have?

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
I know when he has drained them before the liquid was clear. She had a real big one one her tail he had drained a few times till it got so bad it poped and she lost her tail:-( She had one on her sid he has drained but did not get bigger & she has small hard ones in other places. This one is where her collar sits at the top , the needle says 3ml22b3/4 (0.7mmx19mm)if thats any help. It,s just so costly to keep taking her back to him for this.

Well I am not sure what kind of places these would be in multiple different locations. Your needle will only drain fluids that are very thin. The best thing is to get your vet to show you how to drain this place, just because you don't want to hurt him or yourself. But to try it at home, have one person hold the dog, especially the head, probably even muzzle him so he can't bite anyone. Then scrub up the location with an antibacterial soap and water and then rinse. Then swab with some rubbing alcohol. Then if you are right handed, hold the swollen area with your left hand (index finger and thumb), this will stabilize it so you can find where you want to drain. Use your right hand and find the soft fluid pocket and insert the needle with syringe into the softest area. Pull back on the plunger and drain the fluid. You only have a 3cc syringes, so there may be more fluid than that. You can remove the syringe and leave the needle in the skin while you empty the syringe and reconnect it to draw off more fluid. Possible complications are: 1) you don't want to hit the jugular vein or carotid artery in the neck, you can get more bleeding than you anticipate 2)when you introduce a needle into this swollen area, you can introduce bacteria and get an infection 3) the dog can try to bite you or whoever is holding and then you have to go to the doctor.

So all I can say it is best to take him to the vet and your vet can describe better how it is best for you and your dog for you to do this at home.

Hope this helps,

Dr. Candy