Dog

Get your dog care questions answered by Experts

why does my dog howl everytime the phone rings does it hurt…

Customer Question
why does my dog howl...
why does my dog howl everytime the phone rings? does it hurt her ears?
Submitted: 9 years ago.Category: Dog
11/26/2008
Dog Specialist: Jane Lefler, Breeder,Behaviorist, formerVet Asst replied 9 years ago
Jane Lefler, Breeder,Behaviorist, formerVet Asst
HiCustomer

I've found that this howling at specific noises tends to be a learned behavior. Pups frequently learn to howl at certain noises from their mothers. Certain frequencies or noises trigger a dog to howl. Many dogs howl at fire engines or ambulances and do so long before a human can hear the sirens. You dog may have heard his mom howl at a noise as a young pup and somehow the ringing of the phone triggered this memory setting of a howling in your dog.

However, in the wild, dogs and wolves howl to communicate with the pack since howls can travel farther. The following site discusses this in great detail.
http://www.petplace.com/dogs/why-do-dogs-howl/page1.aspx

I hope this information is helpful to you.