LennyDVM
LennyDVM, Veterinarian
Experience:  30 years as owner of a mobile practice treating dogs, cats, horses and other pets.
11484156

My 14 yo cocker is unusually thirsty, needs to urinate alot,

My 14 yo cocker is unusually thirsty, needs to urinate alot, vet says he has high white blood count but finds nothing wrong.
Category: Dog
Expert:  LennyDVM replied 8 years ago.

What blood work did the vet do? Did he get a blood chemistry screen? Urinalysis? Did he treat the dog with anything?

The high white count could indicate an infection, which can make a dog thirsty. If dogs drink more, they will urinate more. Distinguishing between increased volume of urine and increased frequency can help determine if the dog has cystitis (urinary tract infection).

Common causes for increased drinking and urination include kidney disease, Cushing's disease, diabetes, urinary tract infection, pyometra (in intact females) and fever. Increased drinking also occurs if the salt intake is increased (change of diet, people food) and if the drug prednisone is given (used to treat allergies).

A blood chemistry screen would be useful to determine if the diseases listed above are involved. If the white could is significantly increased antibiotic treatment could be used to treat infection even if the source is unknown. A urinalysis would be useful to determine if a urinary tract infection is involved and can be used to support a diagnosis of kidney disease

Let me know if you have follow up questions.

Customer: replied 8 years ago.

she gave something to streingthen his bladder. she took blood and called with results 2 days later to say it showed the high white count but nothing else. the urine test did not show infection.

most of the time when we tqake him out he urinates alot not a little trickle.