Dog

Get Your Dog Care Questions Answered by Experts

Dog

I have a 3 month old golden retriever. We have been walking

Customer Question
him short periods for 2...
I have a 3 month old golden retriever. We have been walking him short periods for 2 weeks on the pavements and giving him runs on grass for apx half an hour. Today we struggled going through a field and had to take a longer route home, I fear he has walked too far and he has come home and is very distressed with the pads on his paws. I have bathed them in salt water but he is crying, can I do anything else to help him. Also given him half spoon of baby's paracetemol. Thank you
Submitted: 9 years ago.Category: Dog

Age: <1; Male; Breed: golden retriever cross

Already Tried:
bathing pads and giving him half a spoonful of babys calpol
Answered in 1 hour by:
11/16/2008
Dog Specialist: LennyDVM, Veterinarian replied 9 years ago
LennyDVM
LennyDVM, Veterinarian

If the paw pads are abraded and sore, they will take a few days to heal. Make sure you check them for cuts that may need further treatment. Bathing or soaking the pads or applying ointments etc. will not speed healing and is likely to be painful.

Paracetamol (acetaminophen in the US) is very toxic in cats because the metabolic glucuronide pathway that breaks it down is ineffective. It is not usually recommended for dogs in the US perhaps because of the tendency for owners to assume that drugs that are safe in humans and dogs are OK for cats.

The glucuronide pathway in dogs is better developed than in cats, but probably less developed than in humans. This means that paracetamol can be used in dogs. It is toxic if overdosed and a single dose of 200mg/kg can result in toxic signs including liver failure.

A dose of 15 mg/kg (6.8 mg/lb) no more often than every 8 hours is generally cited. Calpol is listed as containing 120mg/5ml. A 10KG (22lb) dog could be given a maximum of 150 mg and a 5 ml dose would be reasonable. Calpol comes with a double ended spoon that holds either 5 ml or 2.5 ml. A measuring teaspoon contains 5 ml.

Your dose was conservative (which is good particularly in a young dog and much better than overdosing). If it helped, you can repeat that dose every 8 hours as needed for pain. Do not continue it for longer than needed.

If your pup does not recover within a day or two, check with your vet to be sure that joint or bone pain is not involved.

Let me know if you have follow up questions.

LennyDVM
LennyDVM, Veterinarian
LennyDVM
LennyDVM
LennyDVM, Veterinarian