Dog

Get Your Dog Care Questions Answered by Experts

Dog

My dog has been squinting a lot, hanging his head, had reduced

appetite and has buried his...
My dog has been squinting a lot, hanging his head, had reduced appetite and has buried his head a bit.
Answered in 1 day by:
11/14/2008
Dr.Fiona
Dr.Fiona, Dog Veterinarian
Hi thereCustomer
Welcome to Just Answer! I am so sorry that you have had such a long wait to get a response to your question. It is 9am here in Ontario, and I just logged on and saw your question, and I have replied right away. I'm sorry that none of the other experts felt that they could help you sooner than this!

In order to better assist you, could I please get a bit more information?

Is your dog squinting on both eyes, or on one more than the other?

Any vomiting or diarrhea?

What percentage of normal is he eating - 75%? 50% other?

Fiona
Thank you for responding!

Pretty much both eyes but may be more on the right. I saw him vomit once and eat it up right away. He does this once in a while anyway so I didn't think it relevant....
He is eating about 50%.

Also, he squints and hides (and shows some fear, which he has an issue with anyway) periodically through the day and not all the time.

I will take him to the vet next week if you think I should.

I think thats it.
Is he rubbing at his eyes?

Does he have discharge from his eyes?

Is he up to date on vaccines?

(I am just about to leave to pick up my son at the bus stop... but will be back in 30 min or so)
Not rubbing, no discharge. I think he is a couple months overdue for shots.

If I am not at the computer, I will keep checking.

Thank you
Hmmm....

Any diarrhea?

Does he look swollen around his eyes?

If you pull down his lower lid, is it a bubble gum pink colour inside it, or is it dark red? Or other?

I'm trying to figure out if this is a primary eye problem that is bothering him so much he is not eating and is hiding, or if this is a primary "other" problem that is causing him to hide because he is in pain.

(off to make the kids some snacks, then will be back...)
Sorry -- no diarrhea. Not swollen around eyes. Lower lid is pink (normal).

Have a nice snack.
Hmmm.... your dog is not giving too many clues!

When he goes outside, is he walking/running normally or is he reluctant to move?

Any difficulty with stairs?

Is he shaking his head?

Does he have an odour inside his ears?

Any coughing/sneezing?

Do his ears feel hot as though he has a fever (or can you check his temperature with a rectal thermometer)?

Is he on any medications?
We are heading out to a children's birthday party - back in a few hours!
Movement outside is normal. He does have difficult with stairs, but has always since we got him 18 months ago. He is not shaking his head - Ears smell like doggy "perfume" - ie, ok! No coughing, sneezing. Ear temp feels normal. Not on meds.

Only other thing is he has always been anxious and fearful, and we are working on that. Wish I could transmit a picture. He is a real cute guy. Actually only half Nova Scotia Duck Tolling Retriever and possibly Basset. He looks like a short version of the Retriever.

From Seattle.....
take a break. I am going out for the evening.

Sally
Dr Scott Nimmo, Small Animal Veterinarian.
Hello Fremonster,

It is late now for Fiona so she has asked me to keep an eye on your question in case you need any more help.

I have read the thread through and it is a tricky one, there would be a number of general possibilities based on what you have said.

1. Have seen dogs with back and neck pain who have had difficulty going up stairs, this means they have to lift their head to do so. They would also stand with their head lowered and might squint through pain and be generally unhappy.

2. The squinting could be an eye problem of some kind.

At the end of the day I think it unlikely that we are going to pin down any precise diagnosis via the internet. Accordingly it would probably be best to have your vet check the dog out hands on as soon as is practicable.

However I will be about for the next couple of hours and I will be pleased to discuss this problem more with you.

Regards,

Scott Nimmo