Dog

Get Your Dog Care Questions Answered by Experts

Dog

Lynus is a 4 y/o Schnauzer. Ive had him for 2 weeks. I took

Customer Question
Lynus is a 4 y/o...
Lynus is a 4 y/o Schnauzer. I've had him for 2 weeks. I took him to groomer 2nd day after bringing him home (same one old owner used to use) He's been scooting on his butt ever since. I took him back and they expressed his anal glands. He still scoots. He also seems constipated. His poop is hard little balls. I examined it but found no worms. Any suggestions?
Submitted: 9 years ago.Category: Dog
11/12/2008
Dog Specialist: Dr. Marie, Veterinarian replied 9 years ago
Dr. Marie
Dr. Marie, Veterinarian

Hi there and thanks for your question. Sorry to hear that Lynus is not feeling 100%

The most common reason for scooting is indeed a problem with the anal glands. If a dog is still scooting after I have expressed anal glands then often I consider whether there is an infection in the glands. Also, some dogs have anal glands that are very difficult to express. While some groomers can do an excellent job at expressing anals many will express them externally rather than internally and may not empty them completely.

It does, unfortunately sound like your boy needs a vet visit to have his anals thoroughly examined to see if they are indeed fully emptied or if there is infection present.

Another possible reason for this behaviour is if there is an infection or allergy that is irritating the skin of the anus. You should be able to tell if his anus is inflamed, but then again, if you haven't looked at many dog anuses it may not be that obvious! If your vet thinks there is an infection, wound, or allergy they will prescribe antibiotics and possibly some steroids.

You may want to try adding some fibre to his food to help to loosen his stools. You can do this by adding 1 tbps of pumpkin to his food twice daily or a pinch of bran to each meal.

Dr. Marie.

The above is given for information only. Although I am a licensed veterinarian, I cannot legally prescribe medicines or diagnose your pet's condition without performing a physical exam. If you have concerns about your pet I would highly advise contacting your regular veterinarian.

Just one more thing ... I think he has allergies. He scratches a lot. He rolls on his back and scratches his eyes. My husband gets a warm wet towel and washes his face and he seems a little better.

What kind of germs are on my floor from him scooting his butt on it? I have grandchildren that sit on the floor a lot. What can I use to clean that won't irritate him further.

Allergies certainly are possible. However, most allergies tend to cause itchiness on the feet and ears first before they affect other parts of the body.

If he is expressing a small amount of anal fluid on your floor then this likely has bacteria in it which is not very pleasant! You should be fine to use any kind of floor cleaner that you wish in that area. While bleach is the best for getting rid of the germs it may not be the safest for your floor! As long as your dog isn't scooting in the exact same area again before the area dries it really shouldn't irritate him more.

It really does sound like a vet visit to assess this problem along with possible allergies is your best bet!

Dr. Marie.

Dr. Marie
Dr. Marie, Veterinarian
I have had a female Schnauzer since the first of December. She was not well taken care. of. As per groomer, she was full of ticks and fleas and had a "cyst" on her side. Before we could get her to the vet, she began to have bloody diarrhea.

The vet diagnosed her with Clostridium infection of intestines, and she had tapeworms. She was treated for both.

This morning, about a month after treatment, she began to have bloody diarrhea again and vomited twice. It was a green, foul-smelling vomitus of oatmeal consistency.

She has been eating Prescription Diet ID hard food, but 3 days ago my husband gave her some Iams chicken and rice (soft mixed with Prescription Diet hard food).

Dr. Marie
Dr. Marie
Dr. Marie, Veterinarian