Dog

Get Your Dog Care Questions Answered by Experts

Dog

dog is vomiting, has chills, tremorse, lethargy, barely able to walk

Customer Question
Dog was fine and happyt...
Dog was fine and happyt yesterday, ok this am, threw up wad of grass yesterday and another wad early but seemed happy after, by mid afternoon seemed very weak and quiet, hard to move, clearly having chills , vomited again about 7 pm, very weak bu then got up and drank a few swallos of water.
Submitted: 9 years ago.Category: Dog

Age: >12; Male; Breed: Ger Shrthr

Already Tried:
Keep warm, try to give water, seemed to go down awfully fast for a dog who was in great health
11/12/2008
Dog Specialist: Dr. Mel, Dog Veterinarian replied 9 years ago
Dr. Mel
Dr. Mel, Dog Veterinarian

Please take your dog to the vet right away. I am worried your dog may be bleeding internally. Some older dogs will develop tumors on the spleen that rupture and start bleeding suddenly. It is also possible that your dog got into a toxin of some kind. Check his side. If he has a swollen side he may have a twisted stomach. This is a surgical emergency.

You are correct a dog in good health that suddenly wont get up is in trouble.

Seek attention for him now.

Good Luck.

Melanie Crovo, DVM

Dr. Mel
Dr. Mel, Dog Veterinarian
Dr. Mel
Dr. Mel
Dr. Mel, Dog Veterinarian