Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  More than 30 years of companion animal practice.
11877925

Dog ate soap with LYE (red devil) in it

We just got a puppy, and he ate a bar of soap I just made, it was made with the chemical LYE that is used in soap making. Now, my puppy is drooling severly and won't eat or drink. He is acting real sleepy too. What can I do? Vet is closed.
Hi Jdmcm,
I don't want to be the bearer of bad news, but this is potentially very serious. Is there an emergency veterinary clinic open near you? I did some reading, and the lye can do serious damage to the lining of the esophagus, the tube taking food from the mouth to the stomach. You should not induce vomiting. You should call veterinary poison control for the best information. The number is(NNN) NNN-NNNN There is a fee for the call, however, they will give you the best advice, since they have the biggest database for poisonings in pets in the world, and once you get your pup to a vet, they will follow up on the case with your vet, all for that initial fee. He really needs to get to a vet soon. Good luck, Rebecca
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Oh no! I was so afraid you were going to have bad news!! I feel awful!! Thank you for your help!