Dog

Get Your Dog Care Questions Answered by Experts

Dog

Is there anything I can do to stop my dog from being in heat

? She is almost two...
Is there anything I can do to stop my dog from being in heat ? She is almost two and an inside chiuah and she just came into heat today. What can I do? She does not go outside at all. She is allergic to grass and blisters all over if she ever slips out. She uses pee pee pads to do her buisness but trails off. We have medical issues with her or we would have had her fixed. Please help! I can't stand the mess. The last time she did this was about six months ago and she went for about 25 to 30 days! YUCK! please help. She has an upset tummy during this time also....
10/31/2008
Walter
Walter, Breeder

There are medications that can be used, though they do carry some risk. Progestin and Mibolerone both works well. These medication should not be used to suppress more than two heat cycles in a row so this is not really a good long term idea.

However, these medications carry increased risk of cystic endometrial hyperplasia, uterine infection and mammary tumors. Diabetes, adrenal gland dysfunction and hair loss have also occurred.

There are no long term medications or tricks other then having her spayed. As far as the mess........consider picking up dog diapers or Belly Bands for dogs that can help prevent the mess. She will go into heat every 6 months. Most dogs stop going into heat at around 10 years of age but this can sometimes occur earlier in dogs that have never been mated. As for the upset stomach you can put her on a bland diet of Boiled chicken and rice to help. The general heat cycle is around 21-25 days.

Walter

Walter
Walter, Breeder
<em>Thank You! I appreciate your time and will take in consideration what you have shared with me. It is a hassle but, I dearly love the little thing so I most likely would not put her on drugs to surpress knowing now there are to many risks. We have the diapers but she some how manages to get out of them. We will work it out! Thanks for your advice and have a great weekend.</em>

Your very welcome.......I understand the issues with diapers. Try Belly Bands they work much better. You simply line them with a pantyliner and they look almost like womens undergarments.

You can find them on ebay and they are inexpensive and work perfectly.

Walter
Walter
Walter, Breeder