Thanks for ALL of your answers to better help me to understand what may be going on with your Boston. There are a number of things that I would be considering if he were on his way in to see me.
1. This could be a bug bite, spider bite that is causing an allergic reaction. If this is the case, then he would improve with Benadryl.
In a dog that I diagnose with an allergic reaction, I would treat for this! I generally suggest to clients that they give BENADRYL (diphenhydramine). The dose that one generally gives is 1mg/lb. It comes as 25 mg tablets, and if he is 27lbs, then the appropriate dose for a dog of that size would be 1 tablet. This can be repeated every 8 hours for 24-36h.
Here is more about Benadryl:
You should see improvement within 30 minutes.
In the meantime, apply cool compresses (a small towel dipped in cold water and wrung out) to the affected areas.
Here is more about allergic reactions in dogs:
If the swelling is increasing in size or starting to include other areas such as around his face or nose, I suggest you take him to your veterinarian immediately. Please stay with him until it starts to come down because if it starts to cause swelling in the airways this could be serious. If it comes down with the Benadryl, it raises the index of suspicion that this is an allergic reaction.
2. This could be the beginning of an ear infection.
Ear infections (otitis externa) are quite common. They are commonly caused by yeast, bacteria or a combination of both. Quite often, the ear medications that I prescribe have a combination of anti-fungals to treat the yeast, anti-biotics to treat the bacteria and anti-inflammatories to decrease the pain and inflammation. The names of a couple of ear medications I commonly prescribe are Surolan and Otomax.
Here are some links about Otitis Externa that you might find useful:
3. This bump and redness could be due to a puncture wound that has become infected. This could happen if he caught it on a twig, or sharp nail in the house, or if he had a tussle with a cat. What can happen is that bacteria get placed deep below the skin when a puncture occurs. The hole is small and quickly scabs over, leaving the bacteria below there. They grow well in this warm, moist airless environment.
So, the bacteria multiply, and the body sends in white blood cells to fight the infection, and soon you have a big pocket of pus and bacteria: an abscess! The abscess grows bigger until it ruptures and the pus pours out. This relieves the pressure and allows the hole to close over which then allows the process to start again.
Puncture wounds, ideally, should be treated with antibiotics within 24 hours. This prevents the bacteria from multiplying and forming an abscess in the first place.
So, overall, my suggestion would be to try the Benadryl, but if it is not helping then you are likley going to need to see a vet in order to get medication to treat this.
Good luck with your dog. If this has been helpful, please hit the green "Accept" button. I will still be here to provide more information if you need it!
The above is given for information only. Although I am a licensed veterinarian, I cannot legally prescribe medicines or diagnose your pet's condition without performing a physical exam. If you have concerns about your pet I would strongly advise contacting your regular veterinarian.