Dog

Get Your Dog Care Questions Answered by Experts

Dog

can i give my dog penicillin to help with a dog bite that is

Customer Question
getting a little infected?...
can i give my dog penicillin to help with a dog bite that is getting a little infected?
Submitted: 9 years ago.Category: Dog
Answered in 1 hour by:
10/25/2008
Dog Specialist: Jane Lefler, Breeder,Behaviorist, formerVet Asst replied 9 years ago
Jane Lefler, Breeder,Behaviorist, formerVet Asst
HiCustomer

If you vet said you can give your dog penicillin than you can give it to him. I am surprised he didn't give you the dosage. However, the following site does contain the dosing information for this as well as usage and precautions.
http://www.petplace.com/drug-library/penicillin-g/page1.aspx

I hope this information is helpful to you.

I just wanted to make sure. I already gave him 2ml in the left hip. The bite has busted open a little on the back side of the bite. I have been cleaning wiht peroxide and trying to make the skin go back together. Should I just leave it open to drain?

Customer

Unless a wound is very deep, it is best to leave it open to drain and help prevent infection, so leave it at this point.
The wound is skin deep, thank you so much. IT is healing and not draining as bad as it was 2 days ago. Just one more question. What is the expected healing time for this type of wound? Just to know what to expect.
Customer

Since it is showing signs of infection, it will take about 3-5 days to see improvement with the infection once on antibiotics and then healing can start once the infection is cleared. So in about a week you should see some healing but it will take a couple of weeks to heal completely if it is shallow.
one more question can you please tell me how much to administer of the penicilling to mydog to help with the healing. I have a 12 pound dog and I have penicillin g I think it is 3 ml but how many times per day and for how long.
Tonnie,

I am not legally allowed to give you that information but the dosage information was on the site I included earlier.

I would start with a smaller dosage initially. Usually antibiotics are continued for 10 days. Discontinuing treatment early can result in antibiotic resistant bacteria.