Dog

Get Your Dog Care Questions Answered by Experts

Dog

My dog has a yelow-green discharge from his eye. Hes going

My dog has a yelow-green...
My dog has a yelow-green discharge from his eye. He's going to doggie daycare. I think it's from exposure to so many other dogs. any suggestions?
10/25/2008
Dr Scott Nimmo, Small Animal Veterinarian.
Thanks for the question Buddie Dustie.

While I cannot diagnose this over the internet I would say from your description that the most likely thing your dog would be suffering from is conjunctivitis which is an eye infection sometimes called red eye or pink eye.

Conjunctivitis in the dog is easy to spot, the whites of your dog's eyes will be red to some degree, the mucous membranes will be swollen and there may be a discharge which may be clear or green or yellow in colour. There are really two forms to consider.

1. Primary conjunctivitis : This is where the infection is in the eyes only, it is usually bacterial in origin although viruses and other organisms can be involved. It will usually respond quickly to antibiotic eye drops put in the eye two or three times a day for five days or so.

2. Secondary conjunctivitis : This is where the eye problem is secondary to another disease process such as distemper. In these case your dog will be showing other symptoms as well which would be likely to be of more concern than the eye discharge.

Here is a link to a site which has more information on conjunctivitis : LINK

My advice to you has to be take your dog to the vet and have it checked out, however I can tell you how I would handle such a case. I would prescribe antibiotic eye drops such as chloramphenicol eye drops three or four times a day for five days. I favour chloramphenicol eye drops but any human eye drop containing antibiotics would be fine. In some parts of the world these are available over the counter without prescription.

If I have not answered your question fully enough or if you would like to ask more I will be on line for the next hour or so and I will be pleased to discuss your question further.

Scott Nimmo BVMS
Thank you so much. i thought that was what he had also. May I ask are you a vet in the U.S.? I am wondering, because I don't know if they will sell this over the counter in the U.S.

Thank you so much for your help. This is a great service for pet owners. I really appreciate your help. when money is so tight & we can get an opinion reasonably.

Regards,

Sandy

P.S. I will recomend this site to my friends.

S.L.
Hello again,

Sorry I do not practice in the U.S. , I am practiced in the UK for twenty eight years and now am based in the Philippines.

It might be worth asking at a pharmacy if there are antibiotic based eye drops available over the counter, I know there are in the UK now, chloramphenicol eye drops would be a good choice.

Regards,

Scott