Dog

Get Your Dog Care Questions Answered by Experts

Dog

how old should a puppy be sold or adopted

Customer Question
Submitted: 9 years ago.Category: Dog
10/17/2008
Dog Specialist: Sally G., Dog Training Consultant replied 9 years ago
Sally G.
Sally G., Dog Training Consultant

Hi Apache,

Most people sell pups at the age of eight weeks old and they should have had their first shots at the age of six weeks. For socialization purposes of the pup it is better to keep them with the litter mates longer than 8 weeks, preferably 12 weeks.

Sally G.
Sally G., Dog Training Consultant
WHAT IS THE DIFFERENCE BTWN AFC AND ACC OR SHOULD I LOOK FOR BOTH WHEN PURCHASING A CHIHUAHUA, ALSO IS THIS BREED GOOD FOR AN OLDER PERSON LIKE MYSELF WHO IS 67 AND WOULD USE PEEPE PADS TRAINING.

Hi apache,

ACC is a championship from a parent club, meaning that if the dog was a gun dog and they hold trials and that particular dog won , he would have the title of ACC.

I think you mean AKC which means the dogs heritage/lines are registered with the American Kennel Club. ACA is another registry which basically anyone can register with and the guidelines are not as strict at the AKC. Papers aside, the most important thing you will want to see are the parents of the pup to check health and personality. These are the traits you want to see in a dog. If one of the parents are in poor health or the temperament is not good , chances are that the pups may be the same.

A small dog can easily be trained to a little pan or pads , you would just use the basic training that you would normally do if you took the dog outside.

litter training: http://www.kturby.com/litter/litter.htm

HI, I HAVE ALWAYS OWNED LARGE BREED DOGS, BUT MY HEATH HAS BEEN GOING DOWN HILL FOR A WHILE, I HAD A CHINESE CRESTED HAIRLESS HE WAS A PART OF MY HEART, BUT HE PASSED AT THE AFE OF 7. I DID NOT KNOW ENOUGH ABOUT THE BREED AND HE ENDED UP LOOKING LIKE A 37 HAIRLESS DOF. BUT I LOVED HIS PERSONALITY. BUT THESE DOGS ARE VERY EXPENSIVE EVEN IF BUYING AS A PET. I READ IN THE CHINESE CRESTED GUIDE LINES THAT IF THE DOG IS GIVEN AWAY THEY NEVER GET OVER THE PERSON THEY BONDED WITH. THEN I STARTED LOOKING INTO GETTING A CHIHUAHUA, A DOG I COULD PICK UP AND GO ANYWHERE WITH..THEY LOOK LIKE THEY ARE HEARTY LITTLE DOGS AND I HAVE NO WAY OF FINDING A BREEDER IN MY STATE OF NY (LONG iSLAND ) TO BE PRECISE, HOW DOES ONE GO ABOUT FINDING SUCH INFO. THANKSFOR YOU HELP HOPE TO HEAR FROM YOU SOON,APACHE

Thank you Apache for that information. Long Island! I was born and raised on the East end of the Island for 35 years! It's nice to hear from someone there!

If papers are not important to you, you may want to try the North Shore Animal league as they get a number of full bred dogs from time to time and it would not be as expensive as what you would have to pay a breeder. I think they will put you on a list if you are looking for a particular breed also. http://adopt.animalleague.org/dogs/

Here is a listing of breeders in NY. Always very important when you are going to pay a high price to see at least one parent of a pup. Some breeders will have both parents which is always nice. Never buy a pup sight unseen, you want to check it over for temperament and health.

http://www.newyorkchihuahuabreeders.net/ny-puppies-for-sale/?gclid=COy32bvlsJYCFQNHFQodFUhiLQ

Sally G.
Sally G.
Sally G., Dog Training Consultant