How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask UKVETJH Your Own Question
UKVETJH
UKVETJH, Dog Veterinarian
Category: Dog
Satisfied Customers: 1022
Experience:  BVetMed MRCVS since 2004, Cert Vet Acupuncture. High caseload of canine patients.
7313698
Type Your Dog Question Here...
UKVETJH is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

my dog may have ingested some spic and span antibacterial spray

This answer was rated:

my dog may have ingested some spic and span antibacterial spray cleaner what should i do?

Hi,

 

How long ago did this happen?

 

How much did she get?

 

Does she appear to be normal at the moment?

 

How old is she?

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
I'm not sure of the time. I'm guessing 2-3 hours ago. There was a half a bottle left and it was empty when I got home. She chewed off the cover, I'm not certain if she ingested the liquid. She appears to be okay. Her tongue is wrinkly though. She just turned 9 months. The empty bottle was on the floor, the cover was on the couch chewed up and there was a blanket on the couch that was a little wet.

Thanks for the extra information.

 

From the research that I have done, it appears that the active ingredients in the product as 4 derivatives of ammonium chloride, which is not know to be highly toxic in dogs. There is a possibility of an irritation to the eyes if it has got into them, and there apparently can be some irritation of the mucus membranes of the mouth, but this appears to be the worst of it according to what I can find.

 

The wrinkliness of the tognue may be something to do with this, so I would encourage her to drink water if she will, little and often to try to flush out the mouth.

 

Hopefully, she realised that the liquid tasted nasty (I believe it's scented) and just wanted to play with the bottle, and most of the liquid has gone onto the floor or your blanket. If she seems to be happy and lively then I would just keep a close eye on her and rport anything unusual to your vet - such as excessive vomitting, excessive drinking, or any lethargy.

 

It might also be worth feeding bland meals for a couple fo days too in case any liquid she has had will give her an upset stomach - you might be able to reduce the chances of any resulting vomitting and diarrhoea.

 

At the moment, I wouldn;t worry, just give lots of water and be observant. Anything out of the ordinary, call the vet.

 

Best Wishes,

 

Jen

UKVETJH and other Dog Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Thank you. I'll keep an eye on her. The vet if she eats tonight that is a good sign.