Jane Lefler, Breeder,Behaviorist, formerVet Asst
Experience:  Former vol Vet Assistant.Breeder 18+ years Dog trainer / behaviorist
2361900

My dog has a sore on his butt just below his anus. It started

My dog has a sore on his butt just below his anus. It started off small and is now the size of a quarter. It is bloody but no discharge and shows no signs of healing. He's 12 1/2 yrs old and can't lick back there any more. Any suggestions how I can promote healing. Thanks Ellen
Category: Dog
Expert:  Jane Lefler replied 8 years ago.
Hi Elland,

This sounds like it might be an anal gland issue. It sounds like one was infected and ruptured. The anal glands are 2 sacs on either side of the anus at about the 4' o'clock and 8 o'clock positions. If your dog is continually licking their anus and dragging it, it could also indicate that they are full. This problem can usually be resolved by emptying out the glands. To empty them or express them, you will want to cover the area with a tissue and press your finger on the dog's anal glands with an upward motion. A foul smelling liquid should come out. If nothing comes out and your dog appears to be in pain, you should take him to the Vet. Your vet can do this easily, as he is experienced at it.

Excellent site on anal glands
http://www.dr-dan.com/analsac.htm
http://www.thepetcenter.com/wai/analsacs.html

This is a common problem in small breeds but can happen in larger dogs as well. Since it sounds like it was infected and ruptured, a vet visit is recommended. You can also ask him to show you how to express the glands on a regular basis. For now, flush the gland well, disinfect the area with hydrogen peroxide 3% and apply some neosporin or triple antibiotic cream to the area until you can have him seen. Be careful if you try to express the other gland as you do not want it to rupture if too much pressure is put on it.

Most likely an oral antibitic will be prescribed. I hope this information is helpful to you.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
It's not on his anus it is about an inch below.
elland,

That would be about where the anal glands are located. When a gland ruptures the sore is usually about where you describe the one on your dog.