Dog

Get Your Dog Care Questions Answered by Experts

Dog

my god tied for 25mins twice. does this mean she is pregnant

Customer Question
Submitted: 9 years ago.Category: Dog
9/18/2008
Dog Specialist: Walter, Breeder replied 9 years ago
Walter
Walter, Breeder

Since two ties took place the chances of pregnancy are excellent. Though you will not be able to tell until the female is around 30 days into the pregnancy. Your vet can palpate the abdomen of your female and determine if there are puppies present.

You will want to have a xray done as well to determine how many puppies to expect as well as make sure they are all healthy.

Walter

thank you for your reply. is it natural for my dog to mount my bitch for a week even though he isnt the stud dog and he has been castrated. are there any signs we can look out for to tell if she is pregnant

Yes, just because he was castrated does not mean he still does not have any urges. Though he can not impregnate her.

If this was her first heat, her nipples will enlarge some regardless. You will see weight gain, she may be sick to her stomach a few weeks after the tie as well. She may also become clingy and her appetite may increase around 30 days into the pregnancy as well.

At 30 days your vet can palpate the abdomen to determine if she is in fact pregnant. It is recommend you have a xray or ultrasound done to determine how many puppies you are expecting. This helps when she is in labor so you can determine if there is a problem or not and make sure she does not retain any puppy's.

Dogs are pregnant for 58-68 days. You will need to increase her food intake as she gets further along if she is pregnant. A high calcium puppy food is recommended to be fed to her about a week before she has the puppies and until they stop nursing.

Walter

thank you for you reply. i will let you know if we get a positive result from her mating. she seems to be quite quiet at the moment and is eating better than normal. is there anything else we need to look for to determine the pregnancy ourselves? thank you again

That is about it, while there are some pregnancy tests that can be purchased they are expensive, ineffective and can not be used until 25 days into the pregnancy. Since you have to wait regardless it is better to have the vet check at 30 days which is accurate and, inexpensive.

Water

Walter
Walter, Breeder
Walter
Walter
Walter, Breeder