Dr. Angela
Dr. Angela, Veterinarian
Experience:  Doctor of Veterinary Medicine Degree, University of Illinois
9168612

My dog seems to have swollen glands - neck, shoulders and groin

My dog seems to have swollen glands - neck, shoulders and groin area. do I need to take her to an emergency clinic?
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Angela replied 8 years ago.

I am sorry your dog is having this problem. Swollen glands in the neck, shoulders and groin area should not necessarily be an emergency unless your dog is not eating, vomiting, having diarrhea, acting lethargic, having trouble breathing, etc. If she is having these problems along with the swollen glands, then I would recommend taking her to an ER today. However, if she is eating well, acting otherwise normal, no diarrhea, no vomiting, breathing normally, etc., then I think you are fine waiting until tomorrow to get her checked out. Hopefully this is an infection in her body causing the swollen glands. Sometimes we see a type of cancer called lymphoma that starts out as swollen glands, so your vet will want to take a sample from her glands with a needle and submit the slides for examination to rule out lymphoma. I hope it is not lymphoma. As far as going in today, it wouldn't ever hurt to go in for emergency exam if you're worried. However, if she is okay in all the categories I listed above, I think waiting until tomorrow would be fine. Please let me know if you have more questions about this. I will keep my fingers crossed that she just has an infection. Best wishes.