Dog

Get Your Dog Care Questions Answered by Experts

Dog

my dog has been licking his paws. there are raw spots on all

Customer Question
four paws. what could this...
my dog has been licking his paws. there are raw spots on all four paws. what could this be?
Submitted: 9 years ago.Category: Dog
9/12/2008
Dog Specialist: Dr. K, Veterinarian replied 9 years ago
Dr. K
Dr. K, Veterinarian
Hi mikecody,
For how long has your dog been doing this?
Has he ever done this in the past?

Dr. K
cody has never done this before..i just started noticing it in the past 2-3 days.. his diet has remained the same.. he recently had yeast infection in his ear that i treated him for.. i put these drops in his ear that the vet gave me and would clean his ear out..recently i believe it came back because i cleaned his ears and pulled some wax build-up out..i have maintained a constant watch on that. but when i come home from work i notice that he has been licking his paws (all 4). there may be a yeast infection on his paws or an allergic reaction of some sort or boredom..but i doubt the last one.. i have witnessed him start to lick and tell him no and he listens.. he is a very good boy, what should i do besides going to the vet.. i feel this is something i could remedy myself.. but i definitely will if it persists.. any ideas? please reply.. thank you
Mike,
Because your dog has had ear problems and is licking at all of his paws, the most common cause of these type of symtpoms would be atopic dermatiitis (canine allergies).
Unfortunately, most dogs do require steroids and antihistamines to remain comfortable. For some dogs this period is only in the warmer months, but for many it is an all year-round problem. Most of my atopy patients are well-controlled on a drug called Temaril-P, which is a combination of an antihistamine with a small amount of prednisone.
There are other treatment options that do not involve chronic use of steroids. One that is easy to try is a straight course of antihistamines. Different dogs will respond differently to different drugs, so it may be the case that several antihistamines must be tried before the right one is found. The most common ones used are benadryl (diphenhydramine) and chlorpheniramine. Many dogs will not respond to antihistamines alone, and another modality must be added. The most common is to use a special shampoo designed for allergic dogs. Because allergens that affect dogs do so by landing on the dog's skin (instead of being inhaled, as they do in people), the allergies can be decreased with frequent shampooing with an appropriate product, such as Histacalm. Your vet can recommend an appropriate product for you.
Another option is allergy testing, either using a blood profile or intradermal skin testing. With either of these tests, the dog can be evaluated for sensitivity to specific allergens, and then a unique "vaccine" is made for the dog to treat these. The animal is usually given gradually increasing amounts of the allergy serum over the course of many weeks to months. This is called hyposensitization therapy, and has the least side effects of any allergy treatment. This works in about 67% of dogs.
There is a new drug available now for allergic dogs called Atopica. This is designed specifically for veterinary use. It can be very effective, and does not have the negative side effects of using long-term steroids, however, it is also quite expensive. If you are interested in trying this, you should talk to your veterinarian about ordering you some.

I am attaching a client information handout that I use in my practice that discusses atopy in more detail. I hope that you find it useful.

Click Here

I hope that this information has been of some help to you, and that your dog feels better soon. Please let me know if I can be of further assistance.

Dr. K

i dont want to give my dog any drugs ofs any kind...so i have changed his diet. my vet has told me what to do. i have paid them plenty so i do not need to be charged for this. but thanks anyway.
Hi mike,
I am glad that your dog went to see the vet.

As for the charges, the website has already charged you the $15 to view the answer when you did 5 days ago. The website keeps this money regardless of whether you accept. If you do not click on "accept" the website will just keep your full $15 and will not compensate me at all for my time and advice. Since I did answer your question for you quickly and thoroughly, I would appreciate your accept. If you have any further questions concerning this matter, I would be happy to address them.

I hope that your dog feels better soon.

Dr. K
Dr. K
Dr. K, Veterinarian
Dr. K
Dr. K
Dr. K, Veterinarian