Dog

Get Your Dog Care Questions Answered by Experts

Dog

Our beagle keeps peeing in the house as well as outside. What

Customer Question
can we do to stop...
Our beagle keeps peeing in the house as well as outside. What can we do to stop him from peeing in the house?
Submitted: 9 years ago.Category: Dog
9/7/2008
Dog Specialist: Sally G., Dog Training Consultant replied 9 years ago
Sally G.
Sally G., Dog Training Consultant

Hi fasu,

How old is the beagle?

Is he urinating or urine marking?

Do you have any other pets?

Is this a sudden issue or has it been a problem since he was very young?

When was his last health check?

HE is 3

I think maybe both, based on amounts.

2 female dogs

WE just got him in May

In JUne.

3

I think both based on the amount

2 female dogs

JUst got him in May

In June

Thank you for that information. Since you have two females he may be doing more urine marking, but either way the areas he has gone in need to be cleaned with a solution made specifically for dog urine so he is not drawn back to those spots. URine marking is very hard to deal with because it is instinct and punishing him will do no good. Even if he is urinating punishing him is not the way to go or he will start hiding the eliminations in places he feels you wont find them.

It is also possible that he was never potty trained properly so going back to basics for this may help. You'll need to watch his every move and if you catch him in the act clap your hands or call his name to interrupt him then whisk him outside to finish. Praise and reward him for going outside , using human food such as hot dog pieces may help to drive the message in sooner. A good reward is worth working for.

You will have to confine him when you can't watch him so either put him in a crate or in a room that is easily cleaned. The smaller the spot the better as dogs don't usually like to pee where they eat or sleep. Keep his bed and water dish in this area as well. Take some kibble or biscuits and sprinkle them around the places he has already marked (after you have cleaned the area) so he learns this is an eating place not a peeing place.

I am going to direct you to a site on urine marking that may give you more insight.

http://www.aspca.org/site/PageServer?pagename=pets_urinemarking

You will also want to check for a urinary tract infection or bladder stones as this can have a dog urinate inappropriately as well. A simple urine test can determine this. Beagle's are also prone to a few kidney problems so that should be checked as well.

Belly bands for male dogs may also help.

Sally G.
Sally G., Dog Training Consultant
Sally G.
Sally G.
Sally G., Dog Training Consultant