Dog

Get Your Dog Care Questions Answered by Experts

Dog

My pitbull is CONSTANTLY eating grass. Shes been doing this

My pitbull is CONSTANTLY eating...
My pitbull is CONSTANTLY eating grass. She's been doing this for the past several weeks. I understand they do this to induce vomiting, but she's only been vomiting recently. the vomiting occurs maybe twice a day (if that) a couple days out of the week. As far as I know she shows no other symptoms, but the grass eating is so frequent it interrupts our walks and "potty time." Is there a bigger issue than just an upset stomache?
9/4/2008
Jane Lefler, Breeder,Behaviorist, formerVet Asst
Hi Lallen,

Is your girl spayed?
If not, when was her last heat cycle?
Is she eating and drinking normally?
Any increase in thirst or urination?
Is she vomiting food or just the grass and mucousy looking fluid?
How often is she fed?
Has there been any change in her diet?

yes she's been spayed about 2 yrs ago

she's still eating and drinking normally

thirst and urination are normal

her vomit is usually yellow,foamy and pretty fluid no chunks or the like, once there seemed to be some food. that was this morning

she's fed once a day every evening

she's recently been eating the food of a new dog in the house. its a small amount. but the grass eating has been going on prior to the new dog.

Lallen,

Many dogs eat grass and subsequently vomit. Others do not vomit after eating grass. It may be they vomit due to grass not being digestible by a dog's system, or due to the grass causing a gag reflex.

Many dogs do seem to do this on purpose as a way of emptying their stomachs though some claim they like the taste. I've seen my pre-labor females eat grass just prior to labor, which I've always assumed was their way of relieving nausea and to clear out their stomach.

You never want to let a dog eat grass that has been treated with fertilizer, weed killers or pesticides or where mushrooms might be. Since grass is not digestible for a dog, if your dog was to eat a large quantity, it could possibly cause a blockage. To curb this behavior, keep your grass well mowed, as they tend to like the longer grass.

Now as to the underlying issue. I believe it is likely to be due to excess bile. Excess bile can cause stomach upset and your dog might be eating the grass in an attempt to vomit up the excess bile. A yellowish vomit indicates an excess of bile. There are several things you can do to help with this type of situation. You can give your dog some pepcid or Zantac. Read about Pepcid dosages and usage information here: http://www.petplace.com/drug-library/famotidine-pepcid/page1.aspx

Zantac can be given to a dog at .25 to 1mg per pound every 8-12 hours. Read about usage here:
http://www.petplace.com/drug-library/ranitidine-hcl-zantac/page1.aspx

I'd start feeding your dog smaller meals 3-4 times a day taking up the food bowl afterwards. This way your dog will have food in its belly on a regular basis throughout the day. This will cut down on excess bile. I'd also add a spoonful of plain yogurt to your dog’s food 2-3 times a week to add good bacteria to your dog’s stomach to aid in digestion as well. The bland diet of boiled chicken and rice can be used for a few days. If your dog does fine, you can slowly reintroduce your dog’s regular food into the chicken and rice mixture until it is all regular food.

If these things do not work for your dog, then your dog will need to go to the vet and have tests run to determine if a more serious condition is present.

Hope these suggestions help.