Dog

Get Your Dog Care Questions Answered by Experts

Dog

My dog has a yellow colored pus coming out of his private and

he seems to be continuously...
My dog has a yellow colored pus coming out of his private and he seems to be continuously sctrating his rear. He does he some open sores on his stomach. what do think it could be.
8/18/2008
Dr.Fiona
Dr.Fiona, Dog Veterinarian

Hi thereCustomer

Welcome to Just Answer! I am so sorry that you have had such a lengthy delay to get a response to your question. It is rather complicated as there seem to be 3 parts to it. I would like to help you and your Boxer-Boston but need a bit more information in order to better assist you both.

Is he "scooting" his anal area on the ground?

When you say he is scratching his rear, do you mean his anal area, or his back legs?

Where on his belly does he have the open sores, and how large are they?

When did this all start?

Is he neutered (castrated)?

Fiona

he is kinda scooting his anal are on the ground not as often as he seems to be scratching his back end by his tail. He seems to be rubbing his lower back/hind leg region up and down on the chair legs or my legs when i am sitting.

he seems to be enjoying scratching his rear.

the sores range a tiny size to about the size of a quarter.

Just started about a week ago.

He is neutered.

Ok, so he is itchy on his back near his tail, and also on his hind legs.

And he has sores - where are they?

Are they flat red spots on his belly, or are they little pimples on his belly?

Or are they lumps under the skin on his back, making the hair stand up in areas?

If you have a digital camera and could take a photo, that might help! :-)

You can post a photo or file on this thread - here is how to post them:

You need to post your files on your question page, so the expert can see them. On your question page, there is a tool bar above the reply box at the bottom of the page. If the tool bar is not showing, click "show tool bar". Once you have the tool bar showing, here are the instructions for posting your files:

For graphics, click the tree icon and then browse to choose a GIF, PNG, or JPG. Upload and then insert it.

For zip files, PDFs, or spreadsheets, you need to use the link tool. Enter text (like "download this") in the reply box and then double-click to highlight it. The link is the tool to the left of the tree. In the upper right corner is a browse dialog box, which you can use to locate your file. Select it and then insert the link. Use the Preview button if you want to test the link and see if it works correctly.

File size is limited to 1 MB.

Hope that works for you!

If you don't have a digital camera, that is ok, but could you answer the above questions, please!

Fiona

sore on his inner leggraphic

his sores are mostly on his stomach towards his private. He has a couple on the inside of his leg. the first photo is a picture of one of the sores. its the pinkest of the spots.

the bottom picture is a close up of this private and the sores. the video is of him scratching.

Fantastic! Nobody has ever posted a youtube video before - and it is worth more than 1000 words! So helpful! :-)

I am going to go work on your answer and will be back as soon as possible.. some thunder here so hope my connection does not drop...

Hi againCustomer

VERY helpful video and photos - thanks!

What you are describing in your 6 year old Boxer-Boston (Boxton? Boster?) appears to be Pyoderma.

Pyoderma is a bacterial skin infection that is seen as red pimple-like lesions or red circles usually found in the groin area, and the armpit area. The little red spots may look like tiny pimples and they are filled with bacteria and pus.

Let me explain a little bit about how this can happen...

There are normally small numbers of bacteria living on the skin surface, but when they invade the skin like this it is called pyoderma. This can happen if there is a small scratch, flea or mosquito bite, or cut in the skin surface. It is particularly common when the weather is hot and humid, as the bacterial and yeast numbers are very high in those conditions.

Pyoderma causes the dog to be very itchy. Think of yourself if you have a small scratch on your arm - it may become very itchy if it gets infected. Then multiply that by 100 and you can imagine how itchy your poor dog may be!

If this rash is in more than one small area your dog will need to go on oral antibiotics to get it under control. Oral antibiotics for skin infections are often given for 2-4 weeks in order to resolve the problem. Often, when dogs are as itchy as Rocky appears to be, I also put them on a course of anti-inflammatory such as prednisone to provide instant relief from the itching.

If, however, you want to try to treat this at home first, you could use a benzoyl peroxide shampoo but make sure to condition afterwards (I recommend an oatmeal conditioner). You can get the shampoo at your veterinary hospital, or at a big pet store (PetSmart might have it) or on-line. Try shampoo/condition him once and see if there is any improvement. If there isn't, I suggest you take him to your veterinarian.

I'll give you some links:

example of Shampoo: http://www.allivet.com/DermaPet-Benzoyl-Peroxide-Plus-Shampoo-p/26935.htm

example of Conditioner: http://www.calvetsupply.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=373

Also, you could try some BENADRYL (diphenhydramine). The dose that one generally gives is 1mg/lb. Is Rocky about 50lbs? It comes as 25 mg tablets, and if he is 50lbs, you may wish to give him TWO TABLETS. This can be repeated every 8 hours for 24-36h.

Here is more about Benadryl:

http://www.peteducation.com/article.cfm?cls=0&cat=1303&articleid=1400

http://www.petplace.com/drug-library/diphenhydramine-benadryl/page1.aspx

You should see some improvement within 30 minutes.

So, your excellent video and photos make me suspicious that Rocky has pyoderma. Given how itchy and red he is, I believe he is going to need a course of antibiotics and some prednisone to find relief and to resolve this problem. The discharge from his prepuce of the penis is likely because the infection has also spread in there - it should resolve with antibiotics. If you are not able to seek veterinary attention tomorrow, then you may wish to try the shampoo, conditioner and Benadryl to give him some measure of relief.

If this has been helpful, please "accept" my answer and leave feedback. I will still be here to provide more information if you need it.

Good luck with your dog!

Fiona

Dr.Fiona
Dr.Fiona, Dog Veterinarian
Dr.Fiona
Dr.Fiona
Dr.Fiona, Dog Veterinarian