Dog

Get Your Dog Care Questions Answered by Experts

Dog

What could a mucous sac-appearing thing be that my dog just pooped

Customer Question
My 1-year-old Bichon mix just...
My 1-year-old Bichon mix just pooped what almost looks like guts (that's the first thought I had when I saw it). He is playing and eating and as far as I know he's drinking. He is acting fine, but this has really got me worried. It looks like a mucous-like sac or something. It's not just mucus (slime, snot, etc) mixed in his poop. It is one big blob. I am really worried about this.
Submitted: 9 years ago.Category: Dog
8/15/2008
Dog Specialist: LennyDVM, Veterinarian replied 9 years ago
LennyDVM
LennyDVM, Veterinarian

The colon produces mucous when it is irritated/inflammed.

The most common cause in young dogs is worms particularly whipworm. Have your vet run a fecal and/or give him a dewormer that kills whipworm as well as the other species (round, hook, tape). Coccidia and Giardia are other possible intestinal infections that could cause mucous in the stool.

The mucous can look slimy or can look stringy. Large numbers of worms can alse look stringy.

I just wanted to make sure that you understood me when I said it appears sac-like. It isn't slimy looking mucus in his poop. It is a mucous-looking sac-like thing that is by itself. The poop and the sac-like thing are not mixed together. Does that make sense?

I did understand, but thanks for restating it because I thought of something else.

Parasites are still on the list.

Does your pup eat things like parts of toys, socks, plastic bags, etc. These can look very funny when they emerge at the far end and are often covered with mucous.

did you try picking apart the blob?

Yes, he chews on and up quite a bit of plastic toys, popsicle sticks, wooden objects, tissue, etc., but I'm pretty sure it isn't a sock (didn't appear to be anyways). The other day he got a leftover piece of chicken off the table. I'm not sure how much of it he ate (I pray he didn't) if any at all, because I don't know how much was left before he swiped it. It couldn't have anything to do with that could it? I did not try picking apart the pooh but I will go out now and check it if it isn't too dark to see.

Chicken bones could cause irritation as they pass out, but in general do not.

Let me know what you find when you pick it apart.... if you find it.

Ok. I guess it was just a mucous ball ??? that had air in it. I know that sounds crazy, but it was bigger when he first poohed it. It now appears to just be a blob of mucus (deflated now). :o) His poop was not diarrhea but much, much softer than usual. Also, something to mention, he tends to sneeze a lot. Maybe it was snot afterall. Thank you so much for all of your help. I feel so much better now. I didn't know if it could happen but I thought he had pooped some of his intestines or something. Scared me!

Dogs don't usually sneeze out the quantity of mucous you described. The last part of the intestine can prolapse (hang out), but they don't poop intestines.

I've seen some pretty scary stuff come out of one of my boys who likes to eat the smaller stuffed toys...whole.

I'm glad I could help. Have a nice day!

LennyDVM
LennyDVM
LennyDVM, Veterinarian