How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. Suzanne Hurst Your Own Question
Dr. Suzanne Hurst
Dr. Suzanne Hurst, Dog Veterinarian
Category: Dog
Satisfied Customers: 202
Experience:  I have been practicing small animal veterinary medicine for 12 years.
Type Your Dog Question Here...
Dr. Suzanne Hurst is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Are used coffee grounds toxic to dogs

Customer Question

My lab which weighs 50 pounds and is less than a year old ate about a half a cup of used coffee grounds from my trash. Is this toxic to her?
Submitted: 9 years ago.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Suzanne Hurst replied 9 years ago.

HelloCustomer Dr. Hurst here.

Yes, coffee grounds are toxic to dogs. Whether or not they affect her will of course depend on how much she ate. If you believe she ate more than just a tiny bit, expect to see symptoms.

If this occurred within the past 2 hours it would be wise to get her to vomit to help decrease the amount of caffeine absorbed. The sooner she vomits after ingestion the better. You can try getting her to vomit at home with 3% hydrogen peroxide. This doesn't always work and getting them to take it can be a challenge. The vet can give an injection that will cause her to vomit within minutes. If it has been more than 2 hours but not much more, the vet can give activated charcoal which helps to absorb the toxins in her intestines before her intestines absorb the toxins.

Caffeine toxicity can cause vomiting, diarrhea, a racing heart, excitability, tremors, seizures, cardiac arrhythmias and even death. If she is showing symptoms she should be taken to the clinic for observation and supportive care.

Best wishes!