Dog

Get Your Dog Care Questions Answered by Experts

Dog

Dog, panting, slobering, and is pregnant, very restless is

Customer Question
this labor...
dog, panting, slobering, and is pregnant, very restless is this labor
Submitted: 9 years ago.Category: Dog
7/24/2008
Dog Specialist: Jane Lefler, Breeder,Behaviorist, formerVet Asst replied 9 years ago
Jane Lefler, Breeder,Behaviorist, formerVet Asst
Hi Ranger,

It sounds like it just might be labor if she is around 63 days from mating. There are three stages to labor. During the first stage the cervix dilates and contractions begin. Your female will be uncomfortable, restless, pace and pant. This lasts 6-18 hours. During the second part of labor, your female's contractions begin in ernest. Her water breaks and puppies are delivered usually after 10-30 minutes of pushing. All puppies are born during this stage. The third stage of labor is after all pups have been delivered and is when a dog still has small contractions to expell fluids and/or placentas from the uterus.

You can read more about this here:
http://www.2ndchance.info/caninelaborstages.htm

A dog’s gestational period (pregnancy) is approximately 63 days from breeding. One way of knowing when your dog with have her puppies is to take her temperature twice daily at the same time each day as her due date gets close. Keep a record of this.

A dog’s normal temperature is between 101-102.5F degrees. Her temperature may rise and fall during this time, but once her temperature falls below 99 degrees, she should go into labor in the next 24 hours. The temperature drop is due to a reduction in serum progesterone levels and signals that the dog will start labor within 24 hours.

You can read about this at:
http://www.labbies.com/reproduction1.htm

You may also notice her breasts swelling during this last week of pregnancy and some milk leakage. Dogs will usually become restless and increase their digging and nesting behavior during the last week. You will notice an increase in her panting as well as a mucous discharge. You may also notice some abdominal contractions or rippling as her time grows closer. Do not be surprised if your dog is very restless and vomits as few times during this last week.

Once your dog's temperature has dropped, please do not leave her alone in case of complications. As she enters actual labor you should be able to see her contractions and most dogs will begin looking at their hindquarters. An increase of licking of the genitals is normal before and during labor. Be sure and have an emergency Vet’s phone number readily available just in case of an emergency during the birthing of the puppies.

Here is an excellent site about whelping.
http://www.k9web.com/dog-faqs/medical/whelping.html

Some other signs that my dogs always seem to exhibit are lack of appetite, frequent urination and frequent small, runny bowel movements in the day before labor starts. Frequently my dogs will start looking at their rears when the first real contractions start.

I hope you find this information helpful.
Her temp earlier today was 101.3 took it a few ago and it 99.1 , she is panting alot,and is vert restless, wants to go outside, if I let her out she will head for the woods, due to having other dogs here, she has done this in the past she started panting about 2pm today more than usual, did not touch her dinner and she is trying to get as close to my husband as she can, if he moves she follows him, she is also slobbering every where
Ranger,

It sounds like this might be the start of labor. Put her on a leash for all walks at this point to prevent her going off on her own and possibly having her pups alone outside. It is common for females to want to eliminate frequently before labor starts in ernest. This allows them to void their bodies of feces and urine so when they are pushing with contractions, they do not foul their whelping box. If you take her out after dark, take a towel and flashlights as some females will wait till they are outside to deliver as they believe they are defecating.

Be sure she has plenty of water to drink at this point as well. You should probably confine her to the whelping area if possible and let her begin her nesting there. Do not allow the other dogs in her nesting area. Other animals around her will put her under stress and during this time, she needs to be under a little stress as possible. Provide her with newspaper or old towels and be prepared for her to tear up the newspaper and be restless as well there.