How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Jessica Your Own Question
Jessica
Jessica, Certified Veterinary Technician
Category: Dog
Satisfied Customers: 568
Experience:  Licensed Veterinary Tech with 7 years experience in small animal practice
4591073
Type Your Dog Question Here...
Jessica is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

my dog ate a hostess choclate cupcake is this fatal

Customer Question

my dog ate chocolate
Submitted: 9 years ago.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Jessica replied 9 years ago.
Mandy, it's OK! Just because a dog eats chocolate doesn't mean a death sentence! :-) It's not good for them, that's true, and it can be toxic if a large amount is eaten (or if Baker's chocolate is consumed).

The good news is, it probably won't do him any harm at all, except for perhaps some GI upset (vomiting, diarrhea and the like). If this is a tiny dog, I would watch more carefully than if this is a larger dog (over 30 lbs) for more serious signs. My 30# XXXXX once ate an entire bag of Dark Chocolate Peanut Chews. He threw it up later but that was the extent of the issue.

There's a lot more flour in cupcakes than there is cocoa, so I wouldn't be overly concerned. He'd have to eat a whole cake to get really sick. :-) But do watch for any signs of nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, inappetance, and increased urination. The more serious signs are seizures and cardiac arrhythmias. Call your vet if your dog should act strangely at all. If it has been less than two hours since he ate it, you can call your vet and ask if you should induce vomiting or not.

I'm including links to information on chocolate toxicity for you:

http://www.talktothevet.com/ARTICLES/DOGS/chocolatetoxic.HTM

http://www.petcaretips.net/chocolate-poisoning-dog.html

http://www.apogeecomgrp.com/drkevin/chocolate.html

I hope this helps! :-)

Related Dog Questions