Dog

Get Your Dog Care Questions Answered by Experts

Dog

How can I kill an old sick dog humanely

Customer Question
My dog is 15 yrs...
My dog is 15 yrs old and has arthiritis so bad she cries alot I took her to the vet he gave her medicine but it caused her to have bad seizures.cannot afford $100 to have her put dn.how can I kill her humanely? Shirley
Submitted: 9 years ago.Category: Dog
6/23/2008
Dog Specialist: NancyH, Dog Expert:Rescue, Train,Breed,Care replied 9 years ago
NancyH
NancyH, Dog Expert:Rescue, Train,Breed,Care
Unfortunately there is no safe, humane and legal way to kill your dog at home. The solution the vets use is very carefully mixed and controlled to ensure as best as possible a quiet rapid passing.
In some areas it is legal to shoot your dog which can be humane if done properly.
Many of the meds you might think of to use for an overdose will cause the dog a great deal of distress.
You can check with the local humane society to see if they offer this service.
You can call local vets to see what they charge for euthanasia and your choice of how to handle the body.
If she does pass at home you will still need to decide how to handle her body as depending on where you live it may or may not be legal to bury her.
As cash flow is an issue you can also check to see if any of these groups will help
here are some groups that might help you afford the vet bills:

American Animal Hospital Association
http://www.aahahelpingpets.org/
" Through the AAHA Helping Pets Fund, veterinary care is possible for sick or injured pets even if they have been abandoned or if their owner is experiencing financial hardship."

Angels 4 Animals
www.Angels4Animals.org
"Our services range from financial aid to complete treatment
to those pets and pet owners in need."

Care Credit
www.carecredit.com
A credit card company for health care, including veterinary care.
"With a comprehensive range of plan options, for
treatment or procedure fees from $1 to over $25,000, we offer a plan
and a low monthly payment to fit comfortably into almost every
budget."

God's Creatures Ministry
http://www.all-creatures.org/gcm/help-cf.html
"This fund helps pay for veterinarian bills for those who need help."

Help-A-Pet
http://www.help-a-pet.org/home.html
"Our efforts focus on serving the elderly, the disabled, and the
working poor."

IMOM
http://www.imom.org
"We are dedicated to insure that no
companion animal has to be euthanized simply because their caretaker
is financially challenged."

The Pet Fund
http://thepetfund.com/
"The Pet Fund is a registered 501(c)3 nonprofit association that
provides financial assistance to owners of domestic animals who need
urgent veterinary care."

United Animal Nations
http://www.uan.org/lifeline/index.html
"The m ission of LifeLine is to help homeless or recently rescued
animals suffering from life-threatening conditions that require
specific and immediate emergency veterinary care. We strive to serve
Good Samaritans and rescue groups who take in sick or injured
animals. In certain cases, LifeLine can also assist senior citizens
and low-income families pay for immediate emergency veterinary care."
They also keep a list of local and national help resources here
http://www.uan.org/index.cfm?navid=163

Hope this helps you!
NancyH
NancyH
NancyH