Dog

Get Your Dog Care Questions Answered by Experts

Dog

How can I get my dogs to stop potting in the house, and ...

Customer Question
How can I get my...
How can I get my dogs to stop potting in the house, and chewing up everything. I have tried just about everything I can think of.
Submitted: 9 years ago.Category: Dog
6/13/2008
Dog Specialist: Walter, Breeder replied 9 years ago
Walter
Walter, Breeder

We tend to think of dog urine as something nasty but to a dog it is something of great. A dog leaves it's scent in urine to tell other dogs a message. This message could be about whose territory it is, about the dog's social order or advertising mating availability. Dogs use urine to show their dominance or to claim something as belonging to them.

Dogs with feelings of insecurity or who have separation anxiety may also be hard to break, as territory marking builds the dog's confidence.. The reasons for a dog to start urinating in the house can vary. Usually it is because of feelings of insecurity or a perceived threat. This perceived threat, for example, can be an introduction of a new baby, a new pet, a visitor or even a new piece of furniture. The smell of other animals on your footwear or clothing can also trigger a dog to feel the need to go in the house.

Close supervision is necessary. You must be dedicated to stop the behavior of your dog and you must be consistent. A couple of weeks or often much less time of intense supervision and correction can save you a lifetime of tearing your hair out trying to find a quick fix for the problem. Some people have reported that it has only taken a day or two using the intense supervision method. A shaker can (A bottle with change in it) or water bottle to get his attention when she starts sniffing. Shake a can with coins in it to get her attention. A firm No works well as well as taking her outside. If she uses the restroom outside heap the praise on so she knows this is good.

Chewing is a common issue in dogs. While chew sprays work for some dogs, the fact is close supervision for a week or so will be needed with this issue as well. When you see her chewing you will want to get her attention quickly, some owners will place change in a bottle and shake it to get the dogs attention. A firm NO should be used. You may also get a water bottle to spray her in the face with a sharp NO!

Here is a additional link with other ideas. Please Click Here

Walter

Walter
Walter, Breeder
Walter
Walter
Walter, Breeder