Anna
Anna, Dog Expert, Biologist
Experience:  35 years training & showing dogs. Written articles for Dog Fancy, Dogs, Dog World.
6012901

How do I get pine sap out of my dogs hair?

Customer Question

Category: Dog
Expert:  Anna replied 9 years ago.

Pine tar (sap) is one of the most difficult substances to remove. Many people report having good luck with all natural peanut butter. It often separates in the jar with more oil on the top. Work some of that oilier peanut butter into the areas with tar on them. Then use a hair dryer to soften the peanut butter and work it in some more. Comb it out with a fine-tooth comb. Follow that up by washing the fur wit Dawn dish soap. You may have to repeat the whole process or try some other ideas to get all of the sap out. Butter or vegetable shortening as a second treatment may take more of the sap out. Rubbing alcohol may also help, but be sure to wash it all out of your dog's fur afterward. It's drying and will probably damage the fur. As a last resort, you could take your dog to a groomer and have them remove the sap. If you have additional questions about this, just let me know by clicking on rEPLY. Good luck getting the sap out.

Anna

(If you find my answer helpful, please click on ACCEPT. Thank you.)