Dog

Get Your Dog Care Questions Answered by Experts

Dog

My dog, a pug, has a lump under his left eye that is about ...

Customer Question
My dog, a pug, has...
My dog, a pug, has a lump under his left eye that is about the size of a marble and is pretty hard to the touch, it has swelled up in the past to a size of a golf ball or larger and was hard but didn''t seem to bother him at all. It has since gone down but looks to be getting a little larger again. I do not have the money for an operation and am hoping because it doesn''t seem to bother him that it will just go away.
Submitted: 9 years ago.Category: Dog
6/11/2008
Dog Specialist: Dr. K, Veterinarian replied 9 years ago
Dr. K
Dr. K, Veterinarian
Hi Vander,
Is the lump oozing anything? If so, what color is it?
Does the lump seem to be attached to the edge of the lower eyelid?

Dr. K
Reply to Dr. K's Post: No it hasn't oozed anything, it got pretty large then came back down to marble size. it appears below the eye but above the gumline. It doesn't appear attached to the lower eyelid more on the cheek.
How long ago did the lump first appear?
Did it seem to appear suddenly, or did it get slowly, gradually larger?
Is the lump covered with fur, or is it nude?
the lump appeared a few weeks ago. It got gradually larger. Then got gradually smaller. The lump is covered in hair.
Does it seem like the lump is only in the skin itself, or is it attached to the underlying muscle or bone? For example, can you actually grasp it and move it around...or is it firmly attached to the one spot of his face?
It is soft and i can kind of move it but it is under the skin so it cannot be moved that much. I can move it a little.
There are a number of possibilities for what this might be. Since it is soft and not very moveable, it could be an abscess. This is a pocket of infection that is trapped under the skin. This can be a result of a bite wound from another animal, or from being poked inside of the lip or mouth with an object like a stick or piece of a plastic toy. Your vet will easily be able to diagnose this on physical examination. Abscesses are easily treated by being opened, flushed out, and putting the dog on oral antibiotics.
This area can also have swellings when there is an abscess associated with the root of a tooth. The vet can also diagnose this on physical, and would treat it with antibiotics. In some cases, the affected tooth would need to be pulled.
This also may be an actual tumor-like growth under the skin. Unfortunately, there is no way to know what a lump is definitively, unless it is removed surgically and sent in for biopsy. One way to try to find out is by doing a test called a fine needle aspirate. During this test, the vet places a needle inside the mass and pulls out some of the cells and other materials inside. This is then sprayed and smeared on a glass slide and is stained for viewing under a microscope. A pathologist can tell what a lump is 50% of the time with this test. The major benefit of this test is that it may give you an answer without having to put your dog under anesthesia.
Most people opt to surgically remove the lumps, even when benign, because this will give a definitive diagnosis, and the lump will then be gone if it is malignant (cancerous). Furthermore, many benign lumps do continue to get bigger and this can be cumbersome, unsightly, and sometimes uncomfortable for the dog.
Unfortunately, since your dog has had this for a few weeks, it is unlikely that it will just go away on its own. If finances are of concern in this case, there are many organizations that exist to help with this. I am listing some of them here for you to contact and see how they might assist you.

American Animal Hospital Association _http://www.aahahelpingpets.org/home _" Through the AAHA Helping Pets Fund, veterinary care is possible for sick or injured pets even if they have been abandoned or if their owner is experiencing financial hardship."

__Angels 4 Animals _http://www.angels4animals.org/ _"Our services range from financial aid to complete treatment _to those pets and pet owners in need."

__Care Credit _http://www.carecredit.com/ _A credit card company for health care, including veterinary care. _"With a comprehensive range of plan options, for treatment or procedure fees from $1 to over $25,000, we offer a plan and a low monthly payment to fit comfortably into almost every budget."

__God's Creatures Ministry _http://www.all-creatures.org/gcm/help-cf.html "This fund helps pay for veterinarian bills for those who need help."

__Help-A-Pet _http://www.help-a-pet.org/home.html "Our efforts focus on serving the elderly, the disabled, and the working poor."

__IMOM _http://www.imom.org/ "We are dedicated to insure that no companion animal has to be euthanized simply because their caretaker is financially challenged."

__The Pet Fund _http://thepetfund.com/ "The Pet Fund is a registered 501(c)3 nonprofit association that provides financial assistance to owners of domestic animals who need urgent veterinary care."

I hope that this information is of help to you, and I wish you the best of luck with your dog. Please let me know if I can be of further assistance.

Dr. K

Dr. K
Dr. K, Veterinarian
Dr. K
Dr. K
Dr. K, Veterinarian