Lori
Lori, Canine Health Care & Guidance
Experience:  Qualified by many years of healthcare & experience in breeding dogs
260309

How can we tell if our dog has more puppies inside her

Customer Question

Our dog began her labor and had 2 puppies, that we know of, while she was outside with the other dogs. We brought her inside for 6 days and she did not continue, but she still looks pregnant. How can we help her to resume labor or tell if she is finished?
Category: Dog
Expert:  Lori replied 9 years ago.

Hello-

The best thing to do is just to take her up to the vet and let them do an xray. This will determine if there are any puppies left to deliver. If there is a possibility of more pups, you want to get her delivered as a week late in delivery doesn' bode well for the outcome of these babies. If they die in utero and she doesn't deliver them, she will become very ill from the puppies decomposing. Just run her up for an xray and give yourself some peace of mind. Wink

Please let me know if I can help further in any way.

Customer: replied 9 years ago.
If the puppies are dead inside her, will she abort and push them out or will they just decompose inside her and make her die?
Expert:  Lori replied 9 years ago.

It could happen either way. More than likely she would deliver them, but it's not unusual for dogs to have to have c-sections because their bodys don't go into labor as they should. Good luck with your girl and please let me know how things turn out!

Expert:  Lori replied 9 years ago.
Cost of one xray should be minimal - probably around $20 or $25 - your vet should be able to give you a cost -- many vets (if they are very good), can feel puppies if there are any left inside, but I personally wouldn't want to bet the health of my girl on palpating a puppy.....I would opt for a quick xray.
Customer: replied 9 years ago.
Reply to Lori's Post: We made the choice to go have her exrayed and when we went to take her the next day she had given birth to 7 healthy puppies! Thank goodness everyone is healthy and doing well, thank you for your help.
Expert:  Lori replied 9 years ago.
I am so happy for you and thrilled that everyone is healthy and happy!!