Dog

Get Your Dog Care Questions Answered by Experts

Dog

My bernese Mountain dog puppy (8 months) eats any ...

Customer Question
My bernese Mountain dog puppy...
My bernese Mountain dog puppy (8 months) eats any thing that he can find on the ground dead frogs fecies etc... anything I can do to stop that,He will run out and find the stuff and eat it as quickly as possible
Submitted: 9 years ago.Category: Dog
6/6/2008
Dog Specialist: Mia Carter, Animal Expert replied 9 years ago
Mia Carter
Mia Carter, Animal Expert
Hello there!

It sounds like a very frustrating problem you have with your dog! There's a few things that I can recommend for him that you may want to try out.

This is not an uncommon habit to see in dogs, especially puppies. Once a habit is established, it can be a bit more difficult to break, but it can be done and fortunately, this is actually one of the easier problems to fix.

It's technically called coprophagia when they eat feces. Dogs sometimes do this as a result of a vitamin/mineral deficiency, so a visit to the vet may not be a bad idea, as they can help you determine if this could be the cause, at least for eating the feces. I suspect that if you stop him from eating one (either the dead frogs or the feces), he'll stop eating the other things too.

If you have not done so already, you can also start your pet on a multivitamin. It's not uncommon to see these behaviors in a dog who is lacking certain minerals and vitamins. Plus, he's a growing boy so it's possible that his body is sucking up more nutrients than he's taking in through his meals. I recommend this for dogs of any age and breed, the same way that people of all ages and races should take a multivitamin. It will help promote overall health and it will lessen the likelihood that your dogs will develop problems as a result of vitamin or mineral deficiencies. You can find them at the pet store or pet supply store or online. I'm including a link to a site that sells my favorite vitamins - the top two on the list I have tried and really recommend.
http://www.naturalpetmarket.com/category_detail.cfm?categoryid=188&varpageid=999&uplevel=Health&level=Multivitamins

Here's a link on vitamins and your dog:
http://www.drsfostersmith.com/pic/article.cfm?aid=1046

This is also not uncommon among puppies and some will outgrow the behavior, especially if you work with him to discourage the behavior.

You can begin by promptly picking up and disposing of feces and dead frogs. This will reduce the dog's opportunity - no need to make it easy for him, right?

You can also try spraying the poop, dead frog, etc. with a bitter apple spray, as this will make them undesirable. Once your dog finds that these items consistenly taste just terrible, he'll be on his way to overcoming his problem. The only drawback to this method is that it only works if you see the poop, frog, etc and spray it. So you have to be on the lookout and ready to spring into action.

Another really good way to stop this behavior involving eating feces entails canned pumpkin. Not the pumpkin pie filling - just pure pumpkin. You can even puree your own at some times of year, and then freeze it for use later on! You then add this to their food - each dog will need one teaspoon of the pumpkin, once a day for five days. You may need to repeat the process several times, if you see re-offending. But this will almost definitely cure their want to eat their own feces. If your dog is eating the feces of another dog in the household, you may want to give them some pumpkin too.

There are also an array of products that are available on the market at pet supply stores like Petco. Deter is the name of one product that's added to the food and it makes the feces undesirable to eat. While these remedies can work very well, I recommend trying the pumpkin first, since it's an all-natural option. And I've never seen it fail!

Also, when you catch your dog in the act, you'll want to interrupt the behavior. One good way to do this is to use a noisemaker - fill a soda can with coins or similar, tape over the drinking hole and shake away. It's loud and abrasive, so it's a good attention-getter.

I hope this helps! Let me know if there's anything else I can do to assist you!

****Please ACCEPT my answer if you found it helpful!****

-Mia Carter

**As experts, we are not compensated for our time and efforts unless you "accept!"**
Mia Carter
Mia Carter, Animal Expert
Mia Carter
Mia Carter
Mia Carter, Animal Expert