Dr.Fiona
Dr.Fiona, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years experience as a companion animal veterinarian in British Columbia, California and Ontario
7995545

my dog ate a Raid ant trap - poison control

my dog ate a Raid ant trap- chewed up the plastic and licked out the poison. l gave him peroxide, he vomited; l may have caught him within an hour of eating. anything else l need to do?

Hi there!

Welcome to Just Answer! I would like to help you and your dog with this problem, but need to have just a bit more information in order to better assist you.

How long ago did this happen?

Did he eat the plastic trap too?

Fiona

Customer: replied 9 years ago.
mostly chewed up the plastic, didn't see much plastic in the vomit. just made him vomit 15 min ago, he may have been chewing on it for an hour.

I just want to confirm the ingredients - do you happen to have another one around that you could tell me the ingredients? Are they those listed at the bottom of this page:

http://hpd.nlm.nih.gov/cgi-bin/household/brands?tbl=brands&id=19001021

Fiona

Or can you tell me which of these it was?

http://www.killsbugsdead.com/icp_ant.asp

Also, I would like to know what was in the VERY LAST vomit he brought up. Was it foam? Yellow? Plastic?
Customer: replied 9 years ago.
the only listed active ingredient is Avermectin B1, .01%
the rest is inert ingredients, not specifically listed.
Customer: replied 9 years ago.
Reply to Dr.Fiona's Post: Raid Ant Baits III, from step 2 is what it is.
his vomit looked like dog food mostly, and was slimey. didn't see much plastic, if any. mostly he chewed the plastic and seemed not to have swallowed much.

Yippee!! This is great news!

The baits usually contain inert ingredients such as peanut butter, breadcrumbs, sugar and vegetable or animal, which could be attracting to pets. The avermectin is not toxic to dogs and is not going to cause him problems.

Usually, if we see any kind of problems at all, it is from eating the inert ingredients (like the peanut butter) which can lead to mild diarrhea or gastroenteritis.

The container, if swallowed, could cause a foreign body obstruction if it got wedged into the intestines, but this does not sound like an issue with your boy as he did not swallow it whole, but chewed it instead.

So, I would with-hold food for tonight, but offer water or other clear fluids (you can dilute 50:50 with water any of these: apple juice, gatorade, pedialyte or chicken/beef broth). Tomorrow, keep an eye out for soft stool, but I do not anticipate any problems.

PHEW!! :-)

If this has been helpful, please accept my answer and leave feedback. If you need more information, just click on reply and I will still be here to provide it!

Best wishes! Fiona