LouA
LouA, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  20+ yrs experience in vet medicine, special interest in Sighthounds, successful Agility competitor
9990371

Help my dog ate one of my low cholestrol pills 10 mg ...

Customer Question

Help my dog ate one of my low cholestrol pills 20 mg simvastatin.it a chihuahua..approx 5 pounds, one and a half years old,male
Category: Dog
Expert:  LouA replied 9 years ago.
I am so sorry your dog got into your medication. Many of the cholesterol lowering drugs for humans are not used in animals because of the potential for developing side effects such as cataracts. Especially since your dog is so small, I would recommend that you call animal poison control at (888)(NNN) NNN-NNNN... they have a vast data base of drugs and their actions in animals. They will be able to provide advice/assistance about this particular drug.
Customer: replied 9 years ago.
What do you think..how long will it take for any side effects to show?its about an hour now and he seems fine.
Expert:  LouA replied 9 years ago.
You are 'probably' ok for any 'immediate' side effects if an hour has passed by. I would recommend that you watch him fairly closely for any changes in bowel movements or appetite over the next few days. 'Most' of the side effects which may occur are usually the result of long term use. Any of the allergic reactions which may occur should occur within 45 to 60 minutes of ingestion. I think you are probably safe in just keeping an eye on things for now but plan to head for your veterinarian immediately if you notice any breathing problems or skin eruptions.
Customer: replied 9 years ago.
Thanks very much for your help.I will do!