I accidentally stepped on my 1.5 lb. puppy yesterday, on the abdomen. He yelped and started to cough and gag. I rushed

Expert's Assistant chatimg
Customer: Hi, I accidentally stepped on my 1.5 lb. puppy yesterday, on the abdomen. He yelped and started to cough and gag. I rushed him to the vet and he perked up. The vet checked everything and said he was fine and he wouldn''t be acting so happy if he felt bad. He was coughing a little and gagging a little last night when I picked him up but seems to be eating, drinking and acting normal today, just a bit sleepy. Should I take him in for xrays?
Answered by Anna in 12 mins 14 years ago
imglogo
Anna
30+ years of experience
logo

Specialities include: Dog Veterinary, Dog Medicine, Dog Diseases, Small Animal Veterinary

I'm sorry to hear about this accident. Those tiny puppies can be difficult to see and keep track of, so this isn't uncommon. Since you already had the puppy to your vet, I would assume he checked for broken ribs, etc. If you aren't confident that the vet checked everything, then you'll want to take your puppy back.

If you do feel the vet did a good job of checking your puppy over last night, then you'll just want to keep a close eye on the pup. Watch for the return any gagging or choking, difficulty breathing, mouth and gums becoming pale or blue, loss of appetite, blood in the stool or urine, and lethargy. If any of those signs appear, you'll need to take your puppy back to the vet.

If you have additional questions about this, just let me know by clicking on REPLY. I hope your puppy will be fine.

Anna

(If you find my answer helpful, please click on ACCEPT. Thank you.)
Read less
unlike
14 Likes
logoBack
logologo
Anna
logo
logo
logo
30+ years of experience
imglogo
Anna
+ years of experience
logo

Licensed veterinarians

Pearl avatar
Pearl Wilson, Veterinarian's Assistant
116 Veterinarians are online right now.