Dog

Get Your Dog Care Questions Answered by Experts

Dog

WOULD CELEXA HURT A DOG IF THEY ATE IT IT WOULD OF ...

Customer Question
WOULD CELEXA HURT A DOG...
WOULD CELEXA HURT A DOG IF THEY ATE IT ? IT WOULD OF ONLY HAVE BEEN UP TO 3 PILLS THEY GOT THE BOTTLE!
Submitted: 9 years ago.Category: Dog
4/27/2008
Dog Specialist: Dr. K, Veterinarian replied 9 years ago
Dr. K
Dr. K, Veterinarian
HiCustomer
Celexa is a human drug and not one used commonly in veterinary medicine. If you know that your dog has swallowed this pill and is also on another drug...then you need to speak with a veterianary toxicologist. You can reach one at the following number:

1-800-213-6680.
This is the Pet Poison Helpline.

They also have a website at:
www.petpoisonhelpline.com

The toxicologist will be able to tell you if the amount your dog ate would be toxic, if it will interact with the antihistamine, and what kind of treatment you will need to pursue if any is necessary.
I hope that this information is of help to you, and I wish you hte best of luck with your dog. Please let me know if I can be of further assistance.

Dr. K
Dr. K
Dr. K, Veterinarian
Reply to Dr. K's Post: this is not the question i asked the question you answered was a question i was going to ask but didnt need to ask ! we took care of the answer last week i asked a different one about how often my dog can take prednisone my vet has given it to her before for her allergys im just not sure how to give it to her !
Okay.....this is the only question open on these boards. If the wrong question has been posted then you need to contact a moderator about this. I just answer the questions as they come up..and this is the one that came up.
I will try to foward this post to a moderator on your behalf, so that this can be straightened out.

Dr. K
thank you i guess you cant answer the question anyway?
Which question are you referring to?
how often do i give my dog prednisone my vet knows all about her allergys and she has been on the predisone before but i forgot how to give it to her! she is on a antihistamine right now but its not working .
dr. can you help me yes or no ? if not i would like to log off !???
When I tried to answer you before, it said that the customer had "rejected" the answer and that I could no longer respond as this question had been closed by the customer or moderator. I do not think that we can continue this in this thread...as the question posted at the beginning of the thread is what I anwered and you said that it was the wrong one.
If you have a different question, then you should post it as a new question in a new thread. If this requires another deposit, then you should take this up with the moderator, as I personally do not handle the money part of this website at all......I just answer the questions. I am sorry that I can no longer help you in this thread. I will redirect you to the moderator.
Reply to Dr. K's Post: ok what should i do now? how do i talk to a moderater?
I have sent your request to the moderator for you.
im sorry dr k thank you for telling them but i know you get paid for answering my question but im not sure how to do this, are they going to answer me tonight about this im not going to lose the money for the wrong question i want to pay you cause you have been very help full but i need to know the answer to the real question i had asked when they asked about what i have already tried when i said i have given her antihistamine i typed that in tonight not the other day and what breed and age.
Is your dog on straight prednisone for seasonal allergies?
If so, when was the last time that you medicated her for this problem?
What antihistamine is she taking?
What are her symptoms?
How large are the tablets (how many mg.) of prednisone that you have?
How many do you have left?
When were they last dispensed?
Is your dog on any other medication other than the antihistamines?
Does your dog have any history of serious illnesses (e.g.--diabets, hypothyroidism, kidney disease, liver disease, etc..)?
yes she is on it for seasonal allergies last year ,chorpheniramine maleate (Chlortabs),itching, her nose is very red from rubbing,also her tummy is very red and her arm pitts are red too and yes i have checked for flees and nothing. the mg. are 10mg i have 10 left and dispensed last year and not on any other meds and no other illnesses and thank you for your help.
Is she on a monthly flea preventative? If so, which one? When was it last applied?
Is she licking excessively at her front paws?
How much does she weigh?
no right now she is not on her flea meds k-9 avan.is what we use and licking her front paws yes and no she is most licking adn bitting her tummy and back legs but rubbing her nose on the couch and she is about 65 to 70 pounds.
Redness of the belly and armpits is actually more commonly associated with a mite infestation that causes severe itchiness called scabies (sarcoptic mange). This will not respond to steroids, and in fact, steroids can make it much worse.
For this reason, and the fact that the Rx is a year old, I cannot recommend that you give steroids to your dog without having her seen first. The Rx most likely has expired by now.
If this is scabies, it will need to be treated with a drug called Revolution. This can be diagnosed and treated by your veterinarian.
The second most likely cause of redness in this area is fleas. If your dog is not currently on a flea preventative, this is a possibility. Dogs that have a history of seasonal allergies, are also more likely to have a condition called flea allergy hypersensitivity which is an allergy to the saliva of the flea. This causes intense itchiness in affected dogs, and just one flea on them can drive them crazy.
Seasonal allergies is more commonly confined to itchiness of the face and constant licking of the front paws. Your dog certainly may have this problem as well, but it may be complicated by one of the other problems that I listed above.
Without seeing her skin in person, I cannot advise you to start her on a possibly expired medication from a year ago, that may make her condition worse. I feel that your best course of action is to take her into your vet tomorrow morning to have her skin looked at, and let the doctor determine if this is just an allergy attack or if she is having a problem with fleas, mange or some other secondary bacterial infection that can accompany seasonal allergies.
I hope that your dog gets some relief from her itchiness soon.

Dr. K
ok but the meds are 9/2007 yes i understand all what you had said but she has had the same thing happen to her each year and it wasnt fleas ill put her back on her flea meds but i cant get her to the vet just yet so i guess she will be just on the antihisamine for now. thank you
You are welcome. Unfortunately, I cannot recommend using something like steroids (which are not benign) in a dog that I have never seen before. I hope that she feels better soon.

Dr. K

P.S.--If she does have scabies....this is transmissible to people. So, if you start experiencing ithciness..you should see your doctor immediately.
no we are not itching we are ok that much i do know she does not have !! but thank you
Dr. K
Dr. K
Dr. K, Veterinarian