Dog

Get Your Dog Care Questions Answered by Experts

Dog

I have a 14 year old pomeranian with kidney stones in ...

Customer Question
I have a 14 year...
I have a 14 year old pomeranian with kidney stones in the kidneys. I was told he must eat a very low protein diet to keep the stones from moving into the urinary tract which could kill him. He is a very picky eater and will not eat alot of canned dog food. Any suggestions on people foods or canned food that may taste good.
Submitted: 9 years ago.Category: Dog
4/22/2008
Dog Specialist: Dr. K, Veterinarian replied 9 years ago
Dr. K
Dr. K, Veterinarian
Hi ellen,
Has your dog ever had any stones in his bladder that were removed?
Did the vet recommend a prescription diet for him to eat?

Dr. K
He has never had stones before. He has alot of health problems going on right now. His heart is enlarged, he has a collapsing tract, tryiod problems, serve inner ear infection. My vet suggest pasta, mashed potatoes, liver. I have tried everything and he's so picky. He wants people food like chicken, turkey and ham. I just want so low protien foods that I can try to get him to eat. He was so sick last week that he went 5 days without eating. He is feeling better but he has to eat more and better.
Reply to Dr. K's Post: My dog has stones in his kidneys not in the bladder. my vet said he is too old to operate. She said if the stones stay in the kidney he may be okay but if they start to move into the urinary tract it might kill him. That's why he needs to be on a very low protien dite.
Kidney stones are not generally helped with a low protein diet, so I don't know why your vet told you this. What she said about what could happen if they move is correct. Luckily, most stones just stay put.
I am attaching a client information handout that I use in my practice that discusses kidney stones in further detail. I hope that you find the information helpful.

Click Here

It sounds like your dog has alot of other health issues as well that need to be addressed. Enlarged hearts are usually caused by heart valve disease, or heart muscle disease. They are differentiated by a sonogram of the heart (echocardiogram). The collapsing trachea is often secondary to the enlarged heart (usually from left-sided heart failure). If the cardiac disease is gotten under control with proper medication, then the collapsing trachea will usually resolve.
Hypothyroidism is diagnosed with blood tests ( a complete thyroid panel), and is easily controlled with medication. Inner ear disease can have many causes, which also can be differentiated and treated.
I hope that this information is of help to you, and I wish you the best of luck with your dog. Please let me know if I can be of further assistance.

Dr. K
Dr. K
Dr. K, Veterinarian
Dr. K
Dr. K
Dr. K, Veterinarian