Dog

Get Your Dog Care Questions Answered by Experts

Dog

Our 4 years female dog has white stuff coming from vagina

Customer Question
We have a 4 year...
We have a 4 year old pompoo, who is not fixed. I noticed a few days ago she was swollen and just thought she was in heat. Today she is slinking around with her tail between her legs and not acting like herself. Also when you touch her back by her tail she yelps. So I got her to rool over and noticed that she is having a discharge from her "vagina". It is white type subtance.
Submitted: 9 years ago.Category: Dog
4/12/2008
Dog Specialist: Jane Lefler, Breeder,Behaviorist, formerVet Asst replied 9 years ago
Jane Lefler, Breeder,Behaviorist, formerVet Asst
Hi Slallen,

It's sounds like your dog has a vaginal infection called Vaginitis. Symptoms are a vaginal discharge, increased thirst and urination and is sometimes seen with a urinary tract infection.

You will want to get her in to see the vet so treatment can be started.

You can read about Vaginitis here.
http://www.peteducation.com/article.cfm?cls=2&cat=1629&articleid=929

You might want to check her anal glands as well since you mention swelling and soreness in the backside area. The anal glands are 2 sacs on either side of the anus at about the 4' o'clock and 8 o'clock positions. If your dog is continually licking their anus and dragging it, it could also indicate that they are full. This problem can usually be resolved by emptying out the glands. To empty them or express them, you will want to cover the area with a tissue and press your finger on the dog's anal glands with an upward motion. A foul smelling liquid should come out. If nothing comes out and your dog appears to be in pain, you should take him to the Vet. Your vet can do this easily, as he is experienced at it.

Excellent site on anal glands
http://www.dr-dan.com/analsac.htm
http://www.thepetcenter.com/wai/analsacs.html

I hope you find this information helpful.
Should I take her to the vet right away or would she be okay till Monday?
Slallen,

Sorry for the delay in getting back to you, but with church and all, I just signed back in. She should be ok until monday if it is vaginitis. Another expert did suggest I mention pyometra to you. Usually you have pus in the discharge possible bleeding, swelling of the abdomen, and loss of appetite. I'll give you a link on that as well.
http://petcare.suite101.com/article.cfm/pyometra.