Dog

Get Your Dog Care Questions Answered by Experts

Dog

female dog..13 years old...stomach feels like a large hard ...

female dog..13 years old...stomach feels...
female dog..13 years old...stomach feels like a large hard mass...could this be cancer? she also urinates frequently and sometimes has no bladder control at all...it just comes out while she is laying down.
4/10/2008
Jane Lefler, Breeder,Behaviorist, formerVet Asst
Hi Swebers,

Is your girl spayed?
If not, when was her last heat cycle?
Any thinning of her coat or excessive shedding?
Any increase in thirst to go along with the indcrease in urination?
Reply to Jane Lefler's Post: yes, she is spayed. no thinning of coat, no excessive shedding and no increase in thirst. urination is frequent, but sometimes only a couple of drops. also does not "seem" to be in any pain. you can feel around on her belly and she just looks at us like "when are you going to 'scratch' my belly".
Swebers,

It would certainly be worth it to have a senior checkup done. It sounds like she is starting to experience incontinence probably related to age. The bladder sphincter may not be functioning as well as it used to. This happens frequently after a dog is spayed and in older dogs as well. You can read more on it at this site as well as treatment options.
http://www.petplanet.co.uk/petplanet/health/incontinence.htm
One drug frequently prescribed is phenylpropanolamine which you can read about here:
http://www.petplace.com/drug-library/phenylpropanolamine/page1.aspx
http://www.wedgewoodpharmacy.com/monographs/phenylpropanolamine.asp

To be on the safe side, you will want to have your girl checked over to be sure there isn't a urinary tract infection causing the situation. Common symptoms of a urinary tract infection are frequent urination, dribbling urine, blood in the urine, squatting frequently to urinate, strong odor to the urine, inappropriate urination and straining to urinate as well as an increase in fluid intake. A dog with a UTI does not always show all the symptoms and typically displays 2-3 symptoms.

Until you can get in to see your vet, you can use an appropriate sized baby diaper with a whole cut for the tail to help with any dribbling that may occur.

A distended stomach can be caused by parasites such as worms, but can also be caused by cushing's and even heart issues. Cushing disease can cause a bloated stomach as well some urinary issues. You can read about this condition here:
http://www.petplace.com/dogs/hyperadrenocorticism-cushing-s-syndrome-in-dogs/page1.aspx

I would go ahead and have your vet check your girl over. If there is not UTI present, then I'd ask about having a test for cushings done.

I hope this information is helpful to you.