Dog

Get Your Dog Care Questions Answered by Experts

Dog

does frontline plus work against ear mites my vet gave it

Customer Question
does frontline plus work against...
does frontline plus work against ear mites? my vet gave it along with an ear cleaning and tresaderm for my puppies earmites but on the box it says it only kills fleas & ticks.
Submitted: 9 years ago.Category: Dog
4/1/2008
Dog Specialist: ChristineLVT, Certified Veterinary Technician replied 9 years ago
ChristineLVT
ChristineLVT, Certified Veterinary Technician

No, frontline is not a good product to work on ear mites, although the ear cleaning and tresaderm are good. It's possible that your vet feels either your dog should be protected from this as well as from ear mites, or has confused the product with revolution, which can be helpful in killing off ear mites. It is also a topical product which kills fleas and is also the monthly heartworm preventative.

Christine

ChristineLVT
This is strange because the vet tech that answered this same question on this website yesterday replied that Frontline is okay although it does not claim it on the box. Now I'm completely confused. I told the vet tech about the Revolution but he told me that Frontline Plus was okay. My maltese only stays indoors and doesn't have fleas. I used to use Revoution on my yorkie.
It is ok to use with ear mites, but it is not going to kill them. If the medication was strong enough to do so, they would list it on the packaging. The drug used in frontline in higher concentrations has been used in the past directly in the ear, so yes, can kill them, but if your dog has earmites right now, treatment is not frontline. The tresaderm, on the other hand, is. Once cleared by that method, any topical flea preventative will be somewhat helpful in warding off.
ChristineLVT
ChristineLVT