Jane Lefler, Breeder,Behaviorist, formerVet Asst
Experience:  Former vol Vet Assistant.Breeder 18+ years Dog trainer / behaviorist
2361900

Sudden onset of excessive thirst.

I plan to call my vet in the morning, but I''d like an opinion...My 8 year old cattledog vomited after eating two days ago. This is not uncommon for her to do once in while if she''s eaten something on a walk like a stick or bit of gum when I wasn''t looking.
I saw nothing in the vomit but her kibble.   She had no further symptoms and has eaten fine since.
Today, she has started demanding water incessantly. I cannot satiate her thirst, though she is urinating no differently than before, and I find nothing unusual about the urine. She had a clear exam and vaccinations at the beginning of the month. Could diabetes onset that quickly? She''s not licking uncontrollably, which she has done in the past when she has had indigestion.
Any thoughts on it?
Hi Caseycollins,

There are many causes of excessive thirst and what goes in, generally does come out, so you should expect more frequent or longer urinations. Usually a sudden increase in thirst indicates a urinary tract infection. Common symptoms of a urinary tract infection are frequent urination, dribbling urine, blood in the urine, squatting frequently to urinate, strong odor to the urine, inappropriate urination and straining to urinate as well as an increase in fluid intake.

A dog with a UTI does not always show all the symptoms and typically displays 2 or 3. I believe you need to have your Vet check your dog out so it can get medication for the problem if your dog is displaying 2 or more of the above symptoms..

Other causes for increased thirst and frequent urination include kidney failure, diabetes mellitus, cushing,a uterine infection (called pyometra), and liver disease to name a few. You can read about this here:
http://www.petplace.com/dogs/polydipsia-and-polyuria-in-dogs/page1.aspx

And conditions such as diabetes and liver/kidney problems can come on fairly quickly.   I hope this information is helpful to you.