NancyH
NancyH, Dog Expert:Rescue, Train,Breed,Care
Experience:  30+ yrs dog home vet care & nursing, rescue, behavior&training, responsible show breeding, genetics
127115

my dog has a rash on testicles

my dog has been licking his testicles last 2 days and doesn''t want to move around much now. he has a rashy almost blistery patchy raw look on his testicles. any idea what this could be.
Category: Dog
Expert:  NancyH replied 9 years ago.
You can see if a topical antibiotic ointment will help him feel better. Neosporin or Triple antibiotic ointment may help. It might just be an abrasion from sitting on a hard surface.
However he could have an infection of the scrotum or the testicles causing him the discomfort.
This page goes over these problems in male dogs
http://www.petplace.com/dogs/epididymitis-and-orchitis/page1.aspx
and the infection can be from a number of issues including a tick carried disease.
You may need to see your vet again as its possible the abdominal pain is going along with a genital tract infection.
Hope this helps you!
Customer: replied 9 years ago.
Reply to NancyH's Post: maybe i didn't describe enough detail. He was completely fine wed. night. yesterday he start acting different, no longer barking at visitors, don't want to get up , seems to hurt when he gets up. didn't like it when i touched his abdomen. constantly licking testicles, which they look awful, they look painfully blotchy blistery red. now the vet i took him to today , i told of the licking but i didn't know of rash yet. vet didn't even look at testicles, just checked for worms felt his hips gave him shots and sent me home with pain pills and antibiotics and told me to watch him. you can really tell something is bothering him. do you think the pills vet sent home will do the trick
Expert:  NancyH replied 9 years ago.
I can't say because there is no way to know just what is going on in the testicle area or if the antibiotic is one that will clear that infection up.
If he doesn't seem better after two days of meds I'd call the vet in the morning or consider seeing an emergency vet. An infection in that area is really painful.