How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Vet Tech Amy Your Own Question
Vet Tech Amy
Vet Tech Amy, Certified Veterinary Technician
Category: Dog
Satisfied Customers: 813
Experience:  Veterinary Technician 5 years, pet owner, 10 years in the animal field
Type Your Dog Question Here...
Vet Tech Amy is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Will it kill my dog

This answer was rated:

my dog ate a year old combat quick kill roach bait. will it kill him? what do I need to watch for?
Did he ingest the plastic as well? chewed or whole pieces?

How long ago?

How is he acting now?
Customer: replied 9 years ago.
He did not eat the plastic it has been over 2 hours and he is acting ok right now
Thanks for the additional information,

That is great that he did not eat the plastic! Also combat quick kill roach bait uses Fipronil as its active ingredient. It is relatively non toxic in this dose for dogs. From a toxicology report:

While fipronil is very effective against target insects, it has low toxicity to non-target animals.
A summary of toxicological information follows:

A summary of toxicological information:

Species Condition Effect Level
Rat Acute oral LD50 97 mg/kg
Rat Acute dermal LD50 >2000 mg/kg
Rat Acute inhalation LC50 0.39 - 0.68 mg/l
Rabbit Acute dermal LD50 354 mg/kg
Rabbit Skin and eye irritation Non-irritant
Mouse Acute oral LD50 95 mg/kg
Guinea Pig Skin sensitization Non-sensitizer

It is also the same ingredient used in Frontline flea and tick products. While it is not intended for oral administration, it has been ingested with little (upset stomach or foaming at the mouth) to no side effects.

I would offer a bland diet the next 24-48 hours- chicken and rice only (1/3 chicken, 2/3 rice- no spices no fat) to ease the stomach and help prevent/stop diarrhea. Chicken and rice is highly digestible and should not irritate the stomach. This can be fed over the next few days and slowly weaned onto a regular diet.I would also add some canned pumpkin (not spiced) 1 teaspoon per meal to bulk up the stools and calm the intestine. Pumpkin is a very safe natural remedy that will help regulate the digestive tract. It can be used for both diarrhea or soft stools and constipation.

Otherwise just montior at this point. Notify the vet IMMEDIATELY if you notice any unusual symtpoms such as twitching or hypersensitivity to touch. This could indicate a sensitivity to the drug and would require treatment.
If you are concerned about the cost of treatment, you can look at the following websites for financing information/financial assistance.

Hope this helps. Please let me know if you need additional information.

Best wishes to you BOTH,
Vet Tech Amy and 4 other Dog Specialists are ready to help you

Related Dog Questions