How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Cher Your Own Question
Cher
Cher, Dog Caregiver--Extensive Experience
Category: Dog
Satisfied Customers: 21420
Experience:  Extensive Experience Caring for Canines; Specializing in behavior and health concerns.
1470369
Type Your Dog Question Here...
Cher is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My dog eat 1/2 bag of chocolate chips and is throwing up

Resolved Question:

my dog eat 1/2 bag of chocolate chips and is throwing up
Submitted: 9 years ago.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Cher replied 9 years ago.
Hi,

Were the chocolate chips milk or dark chocolate?

Regular sized chips or jumbo or mini?

What size was the bag?

How much does your dog weigh?

Thanks,
Cher
Expert:  Cher replied 9 years ago.
Hi,

If your dog is throwing up on her own, that's good, because she will get rid of most of the chocolate, if she ate it a short while ago. Look for the chocolate chips in the vomitus. If it was milk chocolate, regular sized chocolate chips, and half of an 8 oz. bag, she should be evaluated by the vet, ASAP. If she's getting rid of it by vomiting, as I mentioned, that's good, but if she's small and weighs less than 20 lbs. some of the chocolate can be absorbed into her system, and this will cause health problems. You can read more about chocolate toxicity in dogs, here:

http://www.petplace.com/dogs/chocolate-toxicity/page1.aspx

If she's showing hyperactivity, increased panting and heart rate, the caffeine and theobromine in the chocolate is adversely affecting her system.

If she's able to keep it down, try feeding her 2 slices of very burned (black) toast, crumbled up. The charcoal from the black part will help to neutralize some of the toxins from the chocolate.

Please try your best to bring her to the ER vet tonight, so she can be evaluated and treated and all the chocolate can be gotten out of her system.

I hope all will be well!

Cher
Cher and 2 other Dog Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 9 years ago.
Reply to Cher's Post: They were milk chocolate.

They were the Regular size chips.

Yes, she vomitted all over the house while we were at work yesterday.

She was drinking and eating her own food last night and vomitted a 2 more time, but it was basically clear mucule by then.

Previously she was vomitting the chocolate like looking vomit. It almost looked like choc. pudding.

It was a small 8 oz bag of reg milk chips and it was about 1/4- 1/3 of the bag that she ate.

She was running around playing and seemed hipper last night, but settle down and relaxed to go to sleep at our bedtime.
Expert:  Cher replied 9 years ago.
Hello again,

I'm glad to hear she is eating and drinking and playing as usual, but did settle down to sleep at the appropriate time. Because it was milk chocolate, she seemed to vomit most of it, and she ate about 1/4-1/3 of the 8 oz. bag, she should be alright. It could have been worse if it was dark chocolate and she ingested more.

I hope you received my previous answer, but just in case you haven't, I'll repeat it for you, here:

"Hi,

If your dog is throwing up on her own, that's good, because she will get rid of most of the chocolate, if she ate it a short while ago. Look for the chocolate chips in the vomitus. If it was milk chocolate, regular sized chocolate chips, and half of an 8 oz. bag, she should be evaluated by the vet, ASAP. If she's getting rid of it by vomiting, as I mentioned, that's good, but if she's small and weighs less than 20 lbs. some of the chocolate can be absorbed into her system, and this will cause health problems. You can read more about chocolate toxicity in dogs, here:

http://www.petplace.com/dogs/chocolate-toxicity/page1.aspx

If she's showing hyperactivity, increased panting and heart rate, the caffeine and theobromine in the chocolate is adversely affecting her system.

If she's able to keep it down, try feeding her 2 slices of very burned (black) toast, crumbled up. The charcoal from the black part will help to neutralize some of the toxins from the chocolate.

Please try your best to bring her to the ER vet tonight, so she can be evaluated and treated and all the chocolate can be gotten out of her system.

I hope all will be well!

Cher"
--------------------------------------------
Continue to monitor her, and if all seems well, make sure to keep all chocolate and other dangerous things she could get into, behind closed doors with child locks on them, so there are no more nerve wracking incidents. If she is still vomiting or is not eating, drinking, eliminating or active, as usual, definitely have her seen by the vet, ASAP.

I hope she'll be fine!

Cher