Dog

Get Your Dog Care Questions Answered by Experts

Dog

Why does my dog smell like foul vagina

Customer Question
Not all the time, but...
Not all the time, but sometimes my dog will have an oder from her smelling like rotten vagina. What is causing this, and how can I stop it?
Submitted: 9 years ago.Category: Dog
2/26/2008
Dog Specialist: Jane Lefler, Breeder,Behaviorist, formerVet Asst replied 9 years ago
Jane Lefler, Breeder,Behaviorist, formerVet Asst
HiCustomer

If this odor is on the skin, Your dog’s odor could be due to a skin infection such as a yeast or staph infection. This frequently caused by an allergy. Changing your dog’s food could help, as some dogs are allergic to common grains found in dog food. . Your Vet will probably prescribe antibiotics and a change in food. If your dog is currently eating a dog food high in corn or wheat, I’d change him to one that does not contain them as these are the more common ones found to cause problems. Staph usually occurs on the lower regions of your pet and tends to have small pimple type bumps. Shampoo containing Chlorhexiderm and/or Oatmeal can help with this condition though it does not cure the allergy. Yeast typically shows as a greasy area that has a sweet musty odor. Sometimes the skin can become inflamed, darker and thickened due to itching. Yeast likes areas such as between toes, armpits and ears. Selsun Blue Shampoo can help with Yeast dermatitis. When shampooing, lather and leave on 15 minutes before rinsing. Your Vet though will make the final determination.
Here is a great site on the problem.
http://www.petplace.com/dogs/skin-discharge-or-odor-in-dogs/page1.aspx

You can read up on allergies here:
http://www.nhahonline.vetsuite.com/Templates/ContentPages/Articles/ViewArticleContent.aspx?Id=864
http://www.lbah.com/allergy.htm

However, if the odor is a fishy type odor and coming from the back part of your dog, it is probably an anal gland issue. The fluid released from the anal glands can be near odorless, fishy or even a fecal odor. The anal glands are 2 sacs on either side of the anus at about the 4' o'clock and 8 o'clock positions. If your dog is continually licking their anus and dragging it, it could also indicate that they are full. This problem can usually be resolved by emptying out the glands. To empty them or express them, you will want to cover the area with a tissue and press your finger on the dog's anal glands with an upward motion. A foul smelling liquid should come out. If nothing comes out and your dog appears to be in pain, you should take him to the Vet. Your vet can do this easily, as he is experienced at it.

Excellent site on anal glands
http://www.dr-dan.com/analsac.htm
http://www.thepetcenter.com/wai/analsacs.html

Being sure your dog is free of parasites can help keep the feces firm and help express the glands naturally on the feces. I hope this information is helpful to you.