Dog

Get Your Dog Care Questions Answered by Experts

Dog

why does my dog vomit bile only in the morning

Customer Question
my gordon setter vomits bile...
my gordon setter vomits bile only in the morning, not every day, but more so than not. He eats 1-1/2 cups of food mornings, and same amount at night. Once he throws up, he''s fine. and eats breakfast, etc. Throws up only in morning. Vet has him on PepcidAC and recently suggested I feed him about 1/2 cup of food with it before going to bed. Worked for two nights, now he threw up again this morning. Other than this, healthy 4-1/2 yr. old dog. I did change his food at Christmas to a small bite food, does he need larger size food? Driving us crazy. Before vet cleans out my checkbook, would like some second opinions.
Submitted: 9 years ago.Category: Dog
1/29/2008
Dog Specialist: Jane Lefler, Breeder,Behaviorist, formerVet Asst replied 9 years ago
Jane Lefler, Breeder,Behaviorist, formerVet Asst
HiCustomer

It does sound like your dog has excess bile causing vomiting. There are several things you can do to help with this type of situation. You can give your dog some pepcid or Zantac. Read about Pepcid dosages and usage information here: http://www.petplace.com/drug-library/famotidine-pepcid/page1.aspx

Zantac can be given to a dog at .25 to 1mg per pound every 8-12 hours. Read about usage here:
http://www.petplace.com/drug-library/ranitidine-hcl-zantac/page1.aspx

Normally medication should be given 30-60 minutes before feeding. I'd start feeding your dog smaller meals 4 times a day taking up the food bowl afterwards. This way your dog will have food in its belly on a regular basis throughout the day. This will cut down on excess bile. Like your vet suggested, have one meal last thing in the evening. I'd also add a spoonful of plain yogurt to your dog’s food 2-3 times a week to add good bacteria to your dog’s stomach to aid in digestion as well.   The pet stores also sell products to add good bacteria such as Prozyme.   The bland diet of boiled chicken and rice can be used for a few days. If your dog does fine, you can slowly reintroduce your dog’s regular food into the chicken and rice mixture until it is all regular food.

This could also be related to some ingredient in the dog food, if it started after a food switch but it sounds more like a bile issue.

Hope these suggestions help.
Reply to Jane Lefler's Post: He is 80 lbs. A large, not overweight Gordon, what is the dosage for a dog this size please.
Grufsmom,

For pepcid with a dosage of 0.25 to 0.5 mg per pound then it would be 20-40 mg. For Zantac at .25 to 1mg per pound, it would be 20-80mg. It is best to start with smaller dosages and work up to larger ones.