Dr. Gary, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian; BS (Physiology) Michigan State Univ
15010675

my dog ate protein powder? is that bad for him? he seems ...

Customer Reply

Customer: replied 9 years ago.
my dog ate protein powder? is that bad for him? he seems restless and he had diarrhea.
Expert:  ChristineLVT replied 9 years ago.

As you can see, it can cause diarrhea!

It can be attempted to clear up at home as long as the dog is acting normally otherwise, non-painful, and still eating. If it doesn't clear up at home, then a vet appointment is necessary, as something to settle the GI tract may be needed.

For now, don't feed anything for 12 hours, but do allow water if he'll drink. (If not, he can always have some unflavored pedialyte). Then when you do feed, give a bland diet like boiled chicken or boiled hamburger meat with white rice (1:1 ratio). No treats, and don't let him eat grass either. Continue this diet for a couple of days as the stool firms up. Once firmed up, gradually go back to the regular diet over the course of a few meals.

If needed, you could also give Immodium (loperamide), which dosing information found here:

http://www.peteducation.com/article.cfm?cls=0&cat=1459&articleid=1432

I wouldn't worry for now if he's acting fine, try this, and if not clearing up in a couple of days, you'll want to make a vet appointment then.

Best of luck, and let me know if I can help further.

Christine