Dr. K
Dr. K, Veterinarian
Experience:  13 years experience as Veterinarian
7189224

Hi. My 10 year old lab is throwing up and not eating.. not ...

Hi. My 10 year old lab is throwing up and not eating.. not feeling well. I took her to the emergency the night before last and they kept her over night. When they did a blood test her liver enzymes were up to 266. The next day after treatment and IV they gave her another blood test and her liver enzymes were down only 6 points. She is still not better. She is on Metronidazole every 12 hours and Clavamox every 12 hours.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. K replied 9 years ago.
Hi Jules,
For how many days has she been vomiting and inappetant?
Did they do a full CBC/Chemistry panel on her?
Was a urinalysis done as well?
When was the last time that she vomited?
How many times is she vomiting per day?

Dr. K
Customer: replied 9 years ago.
Reply to Dr. K's Post: Hello. Thank you for answerin me. I am looking at her chart papers right now. I do not see anything about a urine analysis. She vomits every time she eats. I have been giving her baby food and a bit of dry food. Yes they did a Chemistry panel on her. This is the third day she has been like this.
Customer: replied 9 years ago.
Hi. Do I have to pay every time I ask a question?
Expert:  Dr. K replied 9 years ago.
Which liver enzyme was elevated (AST, ALT, or ALK PHOS)?
Is this the only thing abnormal on the chemistry panel?
Is she still in the hospital now?
How many times is she vomiting per day?

As long as you are just replying to my info requests, you do not need to pay every time you ask a question.
Customer: replied 9 years ago.
Reply to Dr. K's Post: Hi. ALT She is home now. She just vomited an hour ago. Yes it is the only thing abnormal on the panel.
Customer: replied 9 years ago.
I just noticed that her MCHC (Hematology Data) is low - 30.84 and her LYM is a bit low - 1.2-4.5
Customer: replied 9 years ago.
Hello?
Customer: replied 9 years ago.
Are you there? Are you going to answer my last question?
Expert:  Dr. K replied 9 years ago.
I am answering many people while I am logged on, so there will sometimes be a delay of many minutes between my responses. I apologize that you had to wait.
There are many reasons why a dog would vomit this much. The most common include gastrointestinal obstruction with a foreign body (such as a sock, or a piece of a toy), intusussception (obstruction of the intestines when they telescope in on themselves), gastric dilatation and volvulus (twisted stomach), toxic ingestion, gastrointestinal infectious disease (viral, bacterial, etc..), kidney disease, liver disease, pancreatitis, or a simple dietary indiscretion. Differentiating these illnesses requires a physical examination by a veterinarian and blood and urine laboratory testing, plus abdominal X-rays.
Since your dog did not have a urinalysis, this should definitely be the first thing that is done. The results of this test can yield many clues as to why your dog continues to be ill. She should also have abdominal X-rays taken to rule-out the chance of an obstruction and to look for any signs of an abdominal mass. In many cases, an abdominal ultrasound is necessary to look for signs of cancer.
I hope that this information is of help to you, and that your dog feels better soon. Please let me know if I can be of further assistance.

Dr. K